addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The hatchery uses chimney fleus tunnel like. I don't have anything in the pond just deep, plants etc
You want non Sharp edges.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Over turned pots would work, nice size one's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm putting the finishing touches on a "new" cave/tunnel hybrid-ish thing. It's a big (like, 6 gallon maybe) plastic nursery pot (the kind that decent sized trees come in, probably around 15" across and 18-24" tall). I cut 2 round 4 inch holes in the side and plan to split some 1/4" tubing down the length to line the sharp cut edges of the holes. Then, i'll stick it upside down in the pond and plan to set my pump on it. It will all be black, so should blend in once algae starts growing. I have no idea if this will work -- I may need to use a brick or two to keep it from floating, but it's a free project, so i'm not out anything if it fails miserably.

As to whether the fish prefer a cave to a tunnel, I can ask them when I get home today ;-) I know they like to hide out in the strawberry pot i'm currently using, and go in and out of the various holes. They also like to weave in and out of some of the big river rocks I have placed on a submerged plant shelf. I don't think they are very picky...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The hatchery uses chimney fleus tunnel like. I don't have anything in the pond just deep, plants etc
I can't find the pottery chimney flues here, I'll have to keep and eye out for those. Hopefully as I get the lilies going I will eventually not have to worry about putting pots in but right now there is very little surface cover or hiding spots for the little guys. I do like the strawberry pot idea. Maybe I'll wait until after I get the fish and see if that would work, the ones I've seen at Lowe's weren't that large. I'll figure something out, I just didn't know if one was better than the other.
Let me know what the fish say Michey1st. o_O;)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
image.jpg

See, snotty bits

Ask a Question