IMG_4892.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_4893.jpg
    IMG_4893.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 297

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This is a great set of photos and a good way to build one.
I like the removable feature of the milk crate.
It will be a task to clean the foam media but it should do a great job.
Is that activated charcoal in the bag at the bottom?
How many GPH are you pushing through this?

Reaction score
questions - I've been running a homemade fines filter for 3 days now (run it for 12 hours, have it off overnight due to the noise level), and am not really seeing an improvement in clarity.

I'm running a 900gph filter split between it and a fountain. The pond is 1400 gallons.

How long should it be until I see it clearing up?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Refresh our memory, what is your filter like and what is in the water. If it is pea soup, a good bio filter and floating plants is what is needed.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Refresh our memory, what is your filter like and what is in the water. If it is pea soup, a good bio filter and floating plants is what is needed.

It's not pea soup - green water isn't the issue, suspended particulates (mud) is. My regular filter is just a submersed box filter (coarse foam and ceramic bio beads) and I have tons of plants. The water was clear, but then I did the spring clean of the bottom, stirring up all the stuff that had settled down there over the fall and winter. As soon as I did that I switched up my pump's location, putting it on the lowest shelf, just a foot above the bottom (it used to sit at the highest shelf, 2 feet from the surface). It seems to be keeping the bottom clean (it's a solids-handling pump), but just blows the mess all over the pond. Hence my setting up the temporary fines filter to try and get the stuff suspended in the water out.

The temporary fines filter is just a waterfall stuffed with polyfill fibre.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Someone posted a fines filter using an old sweatshirt. That might work as a final-fines filter to get the really small stuff.

Reaction score
Hmmm...I could try that. I figured the floss would be fine enough, but maybe it's not and that's the issue?

The fish don't seem to mind the murky water, but I'd like to be able to see more than 6-8 inches down!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you could put up with the noise run it 24 7 it should clear up fast

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
chilligirl said:
As soon as I did that I switched up my pump's location, putting it on the lowest shelf, just a foot above the bottom (it used to sit at the highest shelf, 2 feet from the surface). It seems to be keeping the bottom clean (it's a solids-handling pump), but just blows the mess all over the pond. Hence my setting up the temporary fines filter to try and get the stuff suspended in the water out.

You might need to build a Doc drum or Skippy filter to help contain the mess

Reaction score
the noise doesn't bother me, but I worry about our neighbours complaining. It's VERY loud what with the spitter, the fountain, and the waterfall all going lol, and we live in a quiet neighborhood. It wouldn't be so bad if the waterfall was landing in a single sheet, but it's landing in a row of dribbles because I stuffed some plants on top of the batting to hold it in place - thus a lot of noise.

plans to eventually build a drum filter, but not this year.

I just fed the fish, and it IS clearing up, just slowly. I can now see 8-10 inches down instead of 6-8 lol.

Tomorrow I'll rinse out the poly, as it's looking pretty gunked up. That'll probably help. If I haven't had this baby by then (I was due yesterday ugh!), I might do another water change tomorrow too...

Reaction score
cauzeneffeckt said:
oh wow! how about you wait till the baby is here and fine! clarity is more of a pleasantry for us than the fish. As long as the parameters are fine.

LOL - I'm trying to walk and exercise this baby out. I'm soooooo done with being pregnant, but she doesn't seem to get the message!

Water params are perfect, and the fish are thriving. The pond even looks nice - the fish are very friendly so you see them plenty (they beg for food). It just bugs me that the water is cloudy, lol. I'll get it clear eventually.

Ask a Question