Floating plant advice

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
So I'm in need of more plant cover for my pond. The string algae is starting to grow like crazy. I have a couple of pots with lillies, but they don't seem to be doing so well this season and the algae is growing all over them. I'm thinking of some floating plants for the main pool and waterfall resivoir. Now, I have read that some floaters grow out of control and you need to monitor it\trim them back periodically. Water lettuce seems to be a good one, but I've read Hyacinth is too, but it will spread quickly. Parrot Feather is another. I also live in the MW with brutal winters. Andy advice is greatly appreciated.

Lew

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
string algea will grow on everything including plant stems, leaves,etc.. wont really hurt anything...get some water hiacynts and lettuce. they spread fast and really suck up the nutrients.

Reaction score
What is the secret to keeping those water hyancith and lettuce roots protected. My fish totally rip them appart and cloggs my pump. I loved having watter WH but those roots were floating all over the pond. Suggestions???

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Do what I do....Don't have fish... =P

On a side note, Picked up 6 small water hyacinth plants last Wednesday. They are already growing! I was warned that they will slowly take over the entire pond if I was not careful and prune off the exta. The local pond\pet store said they would take back the clippings.Looking forward to seeing them bloom later this summer.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Sweet Lew said:
Do what I do....Don't have fish... =P

On a side note, Picked up 6 small water hyacinth plants last Wednesday. They are already growing! I was warned that they will slowly take over the entire pond if I was not careful and prune off the exta. The local pond\pet store said they would take back the clippings.Looking forward to seeing them bloom later this summer.

how nice of the store to take back what youve paid for to resell....wow those guys are great ...what a service they provide allowing you to restock their sales inventory for free. when you build up enough put them on craigslist, and people will pay you for them...not the store....and they will sell.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Settle down KG. I asked them what to do when they started getting overgrown. They said to just clip them and throw them out...I mean, it's better to give them away then to throw them out...Right?? I'm not looking to get into the plant business, but if yer looking for some, I'll make an exception... =)

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
PS3 said:
water hiacynts are awesome they get a nice flower on them and they
grow pretty fast

I'm noticing how fast they grow! Roots are starting to grow nice and long. Really happy with these..

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
lovinglife said:
I am so jealous! I have tried for 3 or 4 years and just can't get either of those to grow!

They are considered tropical plants (from South America). Make sure they are in direct sunlight and your water is warm. My pond gets hours of sun so they started growing in a few days. :)

Ask a Question