Is anyone familiar with the floating Mosaic Plants? Other floating plant ideas?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Scientific name is LUDWIGIA SEDIOIDES.

Here's a link: https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/product.php?productid=16298

I think they're beautiful, but I'm not sure if they're the right plants for my pond. We live in Maryland, and I think the hardiness zone is 6-7. This store says the mosaic's best hardiness zone is 11-12. Do you think it's too risky to try to grow them up here.

I'm looking for a true floating plant that will add some surface coverage but not go crazy, that's easy to care for, and pretty looking. Blooms are a bonus. I was also checking out the four leaf floating clovers and frogbit. Any thoughts or suggestions?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
And perhaps water hyacinth but I'm worried that is/gets too big. We have a pretty small pond. I saw the clovers in person and they were really tiny and cute, so would definitely prefer a petite looking plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You'd have to grow it as an annual in your zone - meaning you would replace it every year. I've never seen this one in person but it sure is a pretty plant!

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
You'd have to grow it as an annual in your zone - meaning you would replace it every year. I've never seen this one in person but it sure is a pretty plant!

oh :( well i certainly don't want to do that.

are frogbits and 4-leaf clovers annuals?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You might also look at floating hearts - Nyphoides is the botanical name I believe. They look like small water lilies with floating leaves and flowers that grow above the leaves on 2-3 inch stems. Fast growers and very pretty. I've got one with yellow flowers but I've seen them with white, too.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok thanks, I'll check those out! Hopefully I can find a place to order them from.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think four leaf clover might work in your zone as a hardy - frog bit might be a bit tender. Some people have good luck bringing less hardy plants indoors for the colder months, if that's an option.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The name 'Frogbit" is used for two different plants. Hydrocharis morsus-ranae is a European/Northern Africa import (zones 6-8), whereas Limnobium spongia is native to North America, and has purple-tinged leaf bottoms. Google those names.
John
P.S. How about Salvinia?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
adavisus who is a member here has a nice selection of pond plants that I bought from, very reasonable price and very healthy plant too. He has floating heart and four leaf clover too, I also bought from him this year.

Four leaf clover and floating heart will come back. I'm in zone 7 and mine came back just fine.

Here is the selection he has https://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Like many pond plants, floating heart can be invasive so be careful not to let it get into any nearby waterways. There are lakes in our area (Northern Virginia) that are having problems getting it under control.

I grew it last year and ultimately put its pot in a half barrel container to confine it and it continued to send up several new flowers every day. Very nice and it quickly covered the surface of the half barrel completely. In the pond, it was constantly sending out runners over the top of the pot (which is its growth habit) which I would just reach in and turn back around and push into the soil in the pot. But it was too vigorous to be trusted on its own and I was going away for a week and decide it was time to place it in isolation... I think it is very nice in a small pond or container where you get at it and keep it under control, but I would be reluctant to ever have it in a position in a pond where I couldn't monitor it and easily redirect or snip it into submission.

Ask a Question