Floating plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I am always tossing some! I haven’t decided if I am going to get more duckweed. The fish seemed to prefer eating the duckweed. I see you are up in Michigan so it would be too cold for you to try some now. It is a tropical plant so I don’t know how it would survive up there.
Can keep some spoons of em into a box during the winter then back into pond at spring start?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can keep some spoons of em into a box during the winter then back into pond at spring start?
I think they would turn into a rotten mess. They require bright light. Do you have an aquarium with a bright light? Better to wait until spring if you don’t, plus they would freeze in shipping on their way up to Michigan at this time of year. I should still have them by spring. I could send you a bunch then. One caveat, though, is that we haven’t had a frost so far this year so I am not sure how this plant would survive the cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Salvinia natans won't take a hard freeze.

A well lit position in a frost free window or aquarium would winter this little gem well

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I keep a bowl of frost-tender floating plants over winter in a sunny, south-facing window. The do alright until Spring. I don't currently have Salvinia, but I do this with Water-lettuce (Pistia stratiotes), Water-hyacinth (Pontederia crassipes), and also Lemna, Wolffia, and Azolla, though the last three don't always necessarily need it that much frost-protection . Still, it is good to have back-up plants.

Ask a Question