floating planter rings

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Can't thank you enough! I was having problems with wandering water hyacinth and lettuce clogging up the skimmer. I saw the kind of plant rings you could buy but they were outrageously priced for such a simple contraption. I'm adding your plan to my next Menard's visit and will be making some for my pond asap!

Thanks again! Jenny :blueflower:

I used fishing line across the pond and placed bobbers about every 2 feet to help keep fishing line above the water. This kept the WH from getting into my Skimmer. Hope this helps.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I used fishing line across the pond and placed bobbers about every 2 feet to help keep fishing line above the water. This kept the WH from getting into my Skimmer. Hope this helps.
yes fishing line or just about anything that can be stretched or reach across a pond will contain floating plants to a given area. but this doesnt provide any root protection. goldfish may not be as big of a problem. but if you have koi, they can decimate a good population of water hiacynths, lettuce, or any other floating plant in no time. theyre also a nice little nursey for fry to live in with some protection from preditation

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat idea kougs,

My goldies didn't seem to bother my floating plants at all, maybe I fed them enough to keep their little tummies full.

Reaction score
20120605_120844.jpg
20120605_120833.jpg
20120605_120853.jpg
20120605_163652.jpg

Here is a ring I made with your idea combined with what I saw on YouTube I used tree edging instead of tubing it gives a stiffer side wall

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the mesh sidewalls are for a reason...they allow more water to openly move thru the roots . better access means easier feeding and more nutrient absorbtion.

Reaction score
Here is what I do that seems to work this season. I found plastic coated mesh waste baskets @ $Tree. They are about 11" or so in height. I also bought the "flower" pool noodles from $Tree as well. They are not the smooth ones, but the ones that have 5 ridges going the length of the noodle. I split the noodle down the full length of it w scissors. I then split it 2 bumps over so that I have a section of pool noodle that has an inndennt on the inside. That is where I place the noodle around the upper edge of the mesh wastebasket. I then zip tie the noodle to the upper edge of the mesh wastebasket. I then float my WH inside the basket. That gives the roots a good length to grow, yet protects them from the ffish. As the roots grow out, I then transfer them to the pond outside the float and put others back in the floating basket to allow them time to grow longer roots. Now, I will state, I used a magnet and the wastebaskets are metal under the plastic mesh coating. I was able to find some just recently that were white...the first ones I bought were black. I also found some shorter white ones that I think were intended for bath products. They have white handles. I just removed the handles and did the same with the pool noodles. I then took it a step further and left the tie ends upright...this gives the dragonflys a place to light when they visit my pond. I have also added a coconut liner (also froom $Tree) and pushed it down to the bottom of the floating mesh wastebasket. I added cat litter and then burried the Lotus seeds that I had already sprouted indoors and that already have leaves. This gives them about 8" of growing space from the cat litter to the waters edge. I do not have any ledges in my pond as it is a 24' above ground pool converted to a pond. :goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5239.JPG
    DSCF5239.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 459
  • DSCF5326.JPG
    DSCF5326.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCF5325.JPG
    DSCF5325.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 459
  • DSCF5329.JPG
    DSCF5329.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCF5332.JPG
    DSCF5332.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 440
Reaction score
20120606_151508.jpg

here is my lotus I hope to get some seeds from the flower I just have it in the pond with no ring
20120606_151528.jpg

The sides keep the KOI from eating the roots from the side and my fish would float up and feast on roots right in the center of the ring.Some plants like low water flow like the ones in my ring.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think most would disagree on the moving water ..water hyacinths and lettuce both do better in moving water. they like the nutrients brought to them. they grow bigger and multiply faster. in the years ive been ponding i have always found mine do far better in moving water. in fact ones that arent fairing as well perk up quickly when moved to moving water. especially when moved to the nutrient rich moving water in the top of my filter. hitting 18" + in heigth. their native natural habitat is in the moving waters of south american rivers. i never meant to imply that your ring wasnt O.K..
in fact i made one like you did..ended up switching to the open mesh sides. sure, the fish can still nibble, but not destroy enough roots to cause any real damage.

Reaction score
All of the farm and home improvement stores in my area sell this exact thing for $2.49 already made. Not sure why you would want to make your own unless a custom size is absolutely required.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you dont see them here....so... some folks may have to make their own.... are the ones there enclosed with mesh to protect the roots or just a floating ring? and how big are they?

Ask a Question