j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's nice tho to know the names to back it up with instead of the thingamabob w/ the threads on one end and the inverted scallopy deals on the other end :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The ones I bought are grey plastic and have barbs on both ends and are used to splice two pieces of hose together .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I have those kind sissy. They work good on connecting the black irrigation tubing together for me.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
So my hyacinths are growing at a fairly decent rate, it makes me wonder do we really even need to protect them from koi? Seems like the plants grow faster than a school of koi could eat/destroy. I've taken all of my hyacinths out of baskets and let them free float, the only ones I'm putting in the baskets are the tiny new ones to give them a chance to grow and keep them out of the skimmer. Am I the only one seeing this? I feel like there are plenty of hyacinths to eat and still keep tons untouched.
let me ask you something...how big are your koi? im serem to recall reading your largest is like 5".....wait till their all 15" or 20" or more, then tell me they cant destroy hyacinth and water lettuce . at about 10" mine really started on the roots...now its the whole plant...they destroy them. pull 'em apart, shred 'em and leave the mess for you to clean up...its just more decaying pllant matter to mess up and foul the water.
its like lillies...some mornings i net out 20 or more pads...they bite or tear the pad and stem off at the base (rhyzone) and eat the the pulp (meat) out from the bottom of the stem

Reaction score
Yes mine are little guppies, probably weigh 3 ounces. If they rammed something at full speed it would probably be like someone throwing a raisin at you. So you're saying that 20" fish will destroy plants faster than they can grow. That is definitely a whole different issue then. I guess I'm going to enjoy my situation while I can.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes thats what i'm saying...they will tear off the roots, shred the plant....its stupid..i dont even think the eat much of them.. i should video my 4&1/2 foot ring bobbing and getting partially pulled under. when they get busy at it...my ring is tied off to a 8lb weight, in the center of bottom of the caging the wire is just long enough to reach the pond floor and they move the ring around the pond. its ridiculous. but some folks never have a real issue. maybe its just one or two fish doing it.who knows? one bad one teaches the rest? most of the damage seems to be done at night. theres rarely a day i dont net out dead lilly pads, floating..hyacinth roots floating,and large chunks of my border plants floating.

Reaction score
That is stupid because I see them trying to eat Hyacinth roots free floating in the water all the time and they are obviously disgusting. Why would they go out of their way to mess with these things they dont' want to eat. Oh well, I guess it's no different than me leaving the garage door open last night and finding a huge cardboard box shredded in the yard courtesy of my two big idiot dogs. Don't worry about that rawhide bone I gave you, chew on some cardboard, that will be fun.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They like that rip sound and know that daddy would not approve!

Reaction score
My parent's neighbor has a small 600 or so gallon pond in his front yard and he has some monster koi in there. Probably 1 that is over 20", 3 in the 15" range and then 2 10" fish. He has 1 potted lily and it is just sitting on the floor of the pond, not a single rock or anything on top of the bulb. I think his fish must be some of those "well behaved" ones you were referring to. I look at his pond whenever I'm there and I've never seen a pad floating free in the water. Lucky bastard, with 28 koi I don't think I have a shot. It will only take 1 to wreak havoc and there is no way that I've got 28 angel fish, no pun intended.

Reaction score
Has anyone thought about using mesh netting and fishing line to sew it onto the rings. You could just loop it over the edges in circular piece and have a "basket " hanging down for the plants to sit in? The woven wreaths would probably work with this, and would think many the covered styro sheets like lowes has could be cut in a small inner ring and fitted into the wreath inside to hold the whole thing up???? I am going to have to try this and will post a pic when I do,,,just a thought.

Reaction score
Ok seems I missed a whole page of this thread and as I was looking just now I saw the mesh posts.... And the noodles too they are better ideas then I could come up with! Teach me to type before I look carefully! Now a question please what exactly does the small round bogs do for the ponds?

Ask a Question