floating planter rings

Reaction score
LOL I put short stout bare root marginals in the center of my floating rings, surrounded by duckweed and water primrose. it's a great addition and the frogs love it! When I completed the ring and put it in the pond empty and left it there, I came back about 10 mins later and my Lemon Butterfly was inside of it! LOL Guess he was curious... and of course me without my camera :(

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Ok seems I missed a whole page of this thread and as I was looking just now I saw the mesh posts.... And the noodles too they are better ideas then I could come up with! Teach me to type before I look carefully! Now a question please what exactly does the small round bogs do for the ponds?

easy questiuon...the floating plants like hyacinths and lettuce are very efficient at nutrient removal (absorbtion) and collect alot of floating particulates. they are also a favorite snack for koi... large koi can and will decimate these plants. the rings are a simple yet effective way to guard the roots of these plants so they can continue to perform the desired task unhindered. hyacinths also have a quite beautiful flower. you may see alot of them in the rings..without the rings.. not so much!
**netting is not the most effective way to go. you want somthing rigid. with netting, what is stopping them from pushing the net up and still eating the roots. or pushing up and pushing the plants right out of the ring? plastic mesh like the hardware fencing has holes large enough to alllow good water flow. and even allow fry to swim in and out freely. giving them a safe haven.

Reaction score
Shalom - may want to consider 1" foam insullation boards they have at the box stores - cut to shape , use a couple/ few layers for bouancy, cut holes for plant pots and you can adjust the height of the plant above the water, cover bare spots with spray adhesive and cover with pea grave,l dirt, dried moss, etc., to get the affect you want. couple smaller layers on the underside for bouancy, they will float and if large enough not tip over when the plants get grown. I don't have a way to calculate how much is needed for the bouancy - you're on your own for that.

By adjusting the height of the plant pot it gives the ability to use numerous land plants, depending on how much water they can stand - On the watergarden forum, there's a thread with a picture of a beautiful island.

I currently, have 3 floating islands,made them from light grating, cut to size, wire tied pieces together to get the shape wanted.. Laid them flat and sprayed great stuff on the bottom for bouancy, when dried turn it over spraying the top side, and as the foam expanded I stuck pea gravel sand into the great stuff. Once the foam was dried, cut it with a knife where needed. Nature and air pollution also contributed to darking the foam. I did cut the holes in the grating before foaming-used a pair of wire nippers

I have impatiens, marigolds, creeping jew, hosta, 5star ground cover, bluestars, and a burgandy colored plant I think is Auselonea(?)

McKool

Reaction score
Your forgiven - another thought - I used oil change pans from Walmart, they're shallow, drilled holes for the water and wire tied 1" hot water pipe oam insulation to the outside of the il pan. Works for short plants, the impatiens lokked great in it - I had 4 dragon tails in one and it flipped over when the plants got tall. I use the oil change pan in my middle pond for the lillies. You can also use this pan or similar without holes or a tiny hole or two near the top depending on how much water you want in the pan for flowers requiring less water.

McKool

Reaction score
Shalom - wald the box stores thinking " what can I use at/in or near the pond"? - ended up using a piece of roof flashing to make a wasster deflector from the wall of the grits mill - glued the rocks on with luiquid nails, screwed the panel onto the wood side and it looks like a stone wall on the inside of the waterwheel. Then made a would trough, covered it with thinset tile adhesive with some colored grout to make it look brownish, pushed in the river rock pea gravel and now it looks like a "country" rock wall along side the waterwheel - i did have the thinset and grout left over from a bathroom remodel. But by walking the stores I get idea's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best thing is too do what you did walk around and look at things and amazed at what you can see if you look hard .I made an island from this styrofoam square thing that my microwave was packed in .Used screening and wired it to it and then spray foamed the screening ,but will not put it in this year ,probably to late to really get it growing good ,but may try it anyways .I put a couple of flower pots I had from plants i bought on sale and spray foamed them in place .I soaked them good in peroxide and doubled them up for strength and also mismatched the holes in the bottom of the pot so they were not so big .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have to get batteries for my camera darn it tried to take some but trying to get to the list of things I still am trying to get done and still have to go get the parts for the fridge and have to take the range over to the other house .I keep coming back here because my list is inside the computer cabinet on the door so it stares or should I say glares at me .I just put on the new front for the dishwasher sears sent me because the one the sent me was a stainless steel look alike .I told them I could put it on as they are easy but at least send me the right part .It has that blue plastic on and I could not really tell until I pulled it off .

Ask a Question