floating planter rings

Reaction score
Bighungryfish said:
I doubled the netting and put sphagnum moss in the bottom and a bit of gravel to give plants a little weight. I also wrapped a bit of netting around the roots of the plant before putting in in the ring. This all makes it harder for the fish to get at the plants. I also anchored them to the side of the pond otherwise the fish bat at the bottom and will eventually flip them over. Sandra

That is what mine have done in the past. They are so hugh they push stuff around then figure out if they get under it, it will flip and the feast is on. I have made my first ring. Not so large, they next on will be bigger. I want to attach one to the handle of the bucket I have my pump in. Trying something new there to. Maybe that will hide my hot pink bucket! haha

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
the hardware fencing is stronger than screen and allows better water flow

I have goldies and are the hardware holes big enough for baby fish to get in cuz I don't want them getting in there and then I have to chase them around in there to get them out? With the door screen I don't have that problem except during spawning season when they all get crazy and jump way up high and get in there anyway. Really in the long run the fish always win anyway no matter how hard we try
frustrate8.gif

Reaction score
I have used round laundry baskets with floatation rings in the past. Works well until the plant grow over the sides of the basket and the fish begin to pull chunks out.

003-3.jpg

Hyacinthes are in a basket, the white basket with the blue float was to "protect" lotus from the fish - that was a bummer:confused:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
guess what I had a large plastic embroidery hoop and it floats too and used my sewing machine with that invisible thread as it is plastic to sew the screening .

did you know if you put a ring at the top and bottom that you can protect your submerged plants just make the netting longer one ring floats on the top of the water and the other goes around the planter make sure the plant pot has a lip at the top I am making one now .I used bird netting the finest I could find did not know they came with smaller openings for mesh until I went to local hardware store here .

guess what for the ring dollar store hoola hoop who what of thought it's round already just add netting cheep if your only make one and a good size

Reaction score
I am SO making some of these for some of my water hyacinths this year. I don't mind that the koi like to eat them and spawn in them-- just don't want them ALL to get destroyed like last year!

Reaction score
hi,
sorry im a bit confused, the pipe keeps the it floating right?, and also wouldn't the roots of the plants go throught the holes in the net and get eaten by the fish?
thank you

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its not that confusing...the ring keeps it floating, and in shape.. true,some roots may grow thru, and maybe eaten... but the majority will remain intact!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
talal101 said:
hi,
sorry im a bit confused, the pipe keeps the it floating right?, and also wouldn't the roots of the plants go throught the holes in the net and get eaten by the fish?
thank you

The pipe floats because it has trapped air in it talal, and like koiguy says the fish eat some of the roots, but it will not kill them. The black irrigation hose works great.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The first one I made I did not have the pipe but took some old hose that I had left from the pump and I still had some of the pipe wrap left when they insulated all the pipes in my house and wrapped that around the pipe and then had a large piece of bird netting l had left from the cover for my pond laid the circle after I was done over bird netting and loosely tied it with small zip ties and that worked great .The pipe insulation wrap at lowes I saw for 4 pieces cost 1.98 and the hose as I said was left over from pond when I went to bigger hose just split and sealed it with silicone that I had bird netting was 7.95 at lowes but was left over from the cover I made .Zip ties where from dollar store 50 for a dollar .The zip ties hold the netting and pipe insulation in place . I also have some flexable water line they used for the house and could use that too .They left a wealth of stuff behind after the house was done and I'm slowly finding uses for it .

Reaction score
addy1 said:
The pipe floats because it has trapped air in it talal, and like koiguy says the fish eat some of the roots, but it will not kill them. The black irrigation hose works great.

thank you addy and koiguy

Reaction score
Can't thank you enough! I was having problems with wandering water hyacinth and lettuce clogging up the skimmer. I saw the kind of plant rings you could buy but they were outrageously priced for such a simple contraption. I'm adding your plan to my next Menard's visit and will be making some for my pond asap!

Thanks again! Jenny :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jennyb5149 said:
Can't thank you enough! I was having problems with wandering water hyacinth and lettuce clogging up the skimmer. I saw the kind of plant rings you could buy but they were outrageously priced for such a simple contraption. I'm adding your plan to my next Menard's visit and will be making some for my pond asap!

Thanks again! Jenny :confused:

You are so welcome! lol all these great minds create neat, simple, easy to build pond stuff. We all have close to the same issues, just slightly different wrinkles to our problems.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hoola hoop works great for the ring also, I found as long as it is the thicker kind of hoop .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But sissy, first you must use it as a hula hoop before ever putting it in the pond, ow the poor thing will be confused.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:lol:I have no hula left in my hoop so guess it's going to have to be confused .Never could use those dang things always fell to my feet:lol::lol:

Ask a Question