floating planter rings

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
look at the roots of the plants...the ones without fish are probably long and healthy the ones with fish are probably eaten on...hence this thread on the rings for saving them

KINGART253

KINGART
Reaction score
BSR8129
Thanks. I'm sure that's what's doing it. I'm going to switch good plants into the big pond and let the poorer plants try to revive in the smaller pond. Then all I have to worry about will be how to keep them alive through our Winter. Retailers can't sell us WH in Arizona.
Kingart253

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Finally home from work and I see you have already been given good advice. No roots in fish side and the results are obvious.
I have often wondered why some eat them and other don't. My Imported Japanese Koi never ate my plants. The ones hatched stateside eat everything that I try to grow that floats.
As for water lillies, I never fertilize mine and I do get flowers. I don't lose sleep over no flowers when I don't have any like some folks here. Maybe it is because I don't care that I get them.

Reaction score
I made the same type of rings but bought styrofoam rings from JoAnns fabrics then attached deer netting with zip ties. I put a veragated grass in my rings which in the past could never grow well due to the root munching...The grass overwinters well here in Sacramento and does not die back. Can't see the rings at all now and it's quite amusing to watch the fish try and crawl into the plants to get at the roots. I think the PVC way would be cheaper however.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
and with the tubing you make the rings as large as you like...i think i will make one about 6' round for next year. that way i know i will have at least that much pond surface coverage. since my koi have dedided to decimate my lillies!

KINGART253

KINGART
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, you can make a suitable ring out of the Black sprinkler 3/4" tubing using a hose connector. Just stick the two ends into the connector. The tubing generaly comes coiled so there is a natural circle (of any size) when you put the two ends together. Then use any netting and ties or thread to attach the net to the tubing. I started with 3' circles and then went to a 5' circle. Put the floating plants into the net, which I let hang down a few inches, and now have some well preserved plants floating in the pond. The same plants out of the net are not surviving as well. So the net circles do work.
Kingart253

Reaction score
I have done the rings but my fish got wise and figured out how to get the plants out of the rings they have eaten all of the duckweed and water lettuce out of two rings

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
KINGART253 said:
If anyone is interested, you can make a suitable ring out of the Black sprinkler 3/4" tubing using a hose connector. Just stick the two ends into the connector. The tubing generaly comes coiled so there is a natural circle (of any size) when you put the two ends together. Then use any netting and ties or thread to attach the net to the tubing. I started with 3' circles and then went to a 5' circle. Put the floating plants into the net, which I let hang down a few inches, and now have some well preserved plants floating in the pond. The same plants out of the net are not surviving as well. So the net circles do work.
Kingart253

Why don't you post some photos like Koiguy did. There are plenty of folks who could use this. I have always used PVC but I am thinking about the 3/4" stuff. The trick is in how to attach it and have it hang down the requisite distance for success.

Reaction score
I doubled the netting and put sphagnum moss in the bottom and a bit of gravel to give plants a little weight. I also wrapped a bit of netting around the roots of the plant before putting in in the ring. This all makes it harder for the fish to get at the plants. I also anchored them to the side of the pond otherwise the fish bat at the bottom and will eventually flip them over. Sandra

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats the trouble with netting....the fish can easily just push up the netting to get to the roots . use the fencing and your plants are safe. the fencing is rigid, they cant get to the roots, except the very ends that grow thru the fencing but by then the roots are big enough that the light end nibbling does little or nothing to effect plant health.

Reaction score
I love all these ideas. Thanks. I did make a basket once. Dollar general has those little plastic baskets (in different sizes). I put a piece of sytrufoam under each handle and covered it all with netting. Worked great. Now I get to try the ring. Once I find more plants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy I like your idea of slicing the tubing on the end and sealing it w/ heat.
I've been using the plastic connectors and that works well but the heat seal would look more uniform ;)

Ask a Question