Floating shade plants for pond's first summer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The end is finally in sight for the world's longest pond-build (phase 1, anyway ;)). Starting to think about what to do to help prevent algae blooms during its first summer as the ecosystem gets established. The pond is in full sun.

I think floating plants are a popular option? But which ones are a good choice for Pacific NW? Water hyacinth maybe? How do I keep floating plants from just flowing over the negative edge? And am I signing a deal with the devil letting a fast growing floating plant loose in the pond?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Keep in mind you are going to get the initial new pond syndrome algae bloom of green (pea soup) water, this is beneficial as it is establishing the base of the food chain. It clears in a few weeks or so. Anyhow, water hyacinth, water lettuce, are good floaters that spread quickly. I think some here tie fish line right at water level in the areas they want to keep their floaters from going over the negative edge.

As for a deal with the devil for these no, these are easily removable even if they make it over the winter. The ones that are a deal with the devil are plants that spread quickly and put out massive roots like yellow flag iris, or even lilies once they jump their pots.

My pond is built in a similar spot as yours, full sun pretty much all day. I planted it right away in the bog as well as the main pond, even before I put any fish in. Besides the floaters. Go with the quick growers that are easy to remove, creeping Jenny, water forgetmenots, water celery, water cress, parrots feather, just to name a few that I use in my pond and these grow like wildfire, which is a good thing. There other plants like irises, cannas, taros, that are good nutrient consumers, but they can take a bit to get going ime, where as the others I mentioned grow like crazy right out of the gate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think the good thing about the floaters is that you can pull excess and just compost them. As long as there is no chance of them ending up in a waterway, it's an easy solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Keep in mind you are going to get the initial new pond syndrome algae bloom of green (pea soup) water, this is beneficial as it is establishing the base of the food chain.

Copy that.

I think some here tie fish line right at water level in the areas they want to keep their floaters from going over the negative edge.
Smart. Thanks for the tip.

@Lisak1: How do you handle this? Do you have floaters?

As for a deal with the devil for these no, these are easily removable even if they make it over the winter.
Got it. That’s a relief.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Looking forward to doing all the planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think the good thing about the floaters is that you can pull excess and just compost them. As long as there is no chance of them ending up in a waterway, it's an easy solution.

Easy enough! Not totally sure how to totally prevent risk of spread to waterways. I have a large creek maybe 200 yards away, though a forest. How do you best ensure it doesn’t make its way there via a bird or something?

Maybe best to just stick to natives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Easy enough! Not totally sure how to totally prevent risk of spread to waterways. I have a large creek maybe 200 yards away, though a forest. How do you best ensure it doesn’t make its way there via a bird or something?

Maybe best to just stick to natives?
Unless a plant spreads via seeds or berries, you don't have to worry about local birds or other critters distributing them around. As far as I know, water hyacinth spreads only via runners so it's not going to 'jump ship' and show up in a natural waterway several hundreds of yards away. Now, natives are always a wonderful way to go, and if you want to stick to that route --- YES! But... as long as you don't dump the extra hyacinth in a natural waterway, I'm thinking you're good to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How do you handle this? Do you have floaters?

We do, and to be honest occasionally they do go over the edge. I just toss them back in. But mostly my strategy is to put them in areas where they have a little more protection from the current. They will actually root into the gravel if the water is shallow enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Unless a plant spreads via seeds or berries, you don't have to worry about local birds or other critters distributing them around. As far as I know, water hyacinth spreads only via runners so it's not going to 'jump ship' and show up in a natural waterway several hundreds of yards away. Now, natives are always a wonderful way to go, and if you want to stick to that route --- YES! But... as long as you don't dump the extra hyacinth in a natural waterway, I'm thinking you're good to go.

Got it, thanks. I’ve been draining my pond (rain water) during construction into the storm sewer that goes to that waterway. Perhaps there is risk if I had floaters and continued to do that, but the plan is to create a drywell for normal overflow.

Will have to keep that in mind going forward if I ever need to fully drain again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We do, and to be honest occasionally they do go over the edge. I just toss them back in. But mostly my strategy is to put them in areas where they have a little more protection from the current. They will actually root into the gravel if the water is shallow enough.

Didn’t know that. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stay away from the invasive stuff clover, horse tail rush, penny wart, mint, even parrots feather can be a take over plant though i doubt so in oregon. no matter how much you want to see green water and algae go away, think twice about what to add.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do think it's important to be careful about introducing invasive species into the wild. HOWEVER - some of the rules are just dumb. For example in some climates the butterfly bush is invasive. Here in the midwest they die back to the ground every year - they don't have the opportunity to take over anything. Same with water hyacinth and lettuce - first sign of COOL weather and they turn to mush. But they've banned the sale in certain counties in IL - makes zero sense. But I have seen them in Florida waterways and understand the concern in warm climates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1, I was looking at WA state's noxious weed list, and butterfly bush is on that list here, too. Water hyacinth/lettuce is not, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can totally see it if the plant can survive the winter and spread. But I think as soon as they ban one pond plant, another one will pop up to fill the gap. We can't buy parrot's feather anymore either.

Ask a Question