Flood Irrigation, First Water of the Year

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pecan when I transplanted one of my cactus I had gotten some stryofoam and packed it around the cactus then taped it and I was able to move and hold it with no problem.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Almost everything in my arizona yard had thorns. One tree, a mesquite, had thorns over 3 inches long, big suckers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We used to use old carpet, worked as long as the thorns where not too big

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My mom lives in AZ, and when she would trim her cactus or anything with thorns, she would use thick cardboard, since it's somewhat flexible and also would not allow the thorns to penetrate, as you would carefully pick up the cactus, not grab it hard enough to let the thorn penetrate.
Your gardens are gorgeous, Pecan! You had to have done some really good planning and leveling and so forth to get just the areas you wanted to flood with the water, and no more! That's really neat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder why they don't have some kind of special cactus gloves to use when handling those things?

Reaction score
I'm jonesing to redo someone's irrigated lot here. I think it would allow for a really different design. Most are just turf and trees, not updated from the 1950's.

Pecan, it looks like we're kind on the same page. You flood with some dry islands for desert plants while I don't irrigate but have wet islands for water loving plant. Kind of ying and yang. Great look either way imo. I like the surprise of seeing a mix of plants that don't normally go together.

Tmann, I'm with you on the stryofoam, best way I've found so far. Carpet and towels broke a lot of needles on the big heavy cactus I've moved. And I couldn't reuse the material because it would be covered in needles, as bad as the cactus. I first heard about it in this video.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like the perfect way to do it waterbug. Don't have to worry about it here tho, too wet.

Ask a Question