FLOURESCENT LIGHT GRID ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Apparently this material is somewhat brittle? How does it hold up to UV exposure, exposure to weather, etc?

Was planning to use the grids as a "false floor" for my box turtles (would have it supported underneath by a PVC frame), but now starting to question it as a safe component. Concern would be the unexpected breakage that might endanger the turts.

Anyone have alternative-type materials or ideas?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
what do you plan on placing atop it?... i have had the same 2 peices of lighting diffuser in my outdoor filter since MAY 2009. i take it out in the fall thru the winter, while my fish are wintering in the basement pond. but i have one on the bottom keeping the media up out of the filters sump/debris area, and one on top at the top of the filter. 10 hours a day in the sun...both are still fine!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
KOIGUY -- The only thing that would be on top of it would be the turtles :) Will have ledges for the edges to rest on, then a PVC frame underneath to support the grid. Will have rocks along the edges, on the ledges, so the turts have something to climb in & out on, but don't intend for the grid to be weight-bearing.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are looking for something more sturdy, check with your local Wonderbread store and see if they will let you have some of the bread racks. I have gotten several batches and they are very heavy plastic.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's why I was suggesting bogs, No chance it would drop and trap the turtles and it would serve as a filter as well. I was a little worried about the egg crate grid, It's Not real UV light sensitive and it can hold the weight, but I wonder if the turtles themselves could break off pieces and possibly get trapped between them and the edge of the pond. Plus it's going to stick out like a sore thumb and not look very natural. The bog would be able to serve as a digging area, filter, watering hole. and probably cost you not much more than a couple of sheets of that grid material.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, FISHIN, every time I think about what could go wrong, my thoughts go back to making bogs for them. Let me pick some "boggy" brains for a minute:

1. While the turts don't need a lot of depth to their water, having an area for them 2"-3" deep (maybe even deeper once they're bigger) would be nice. Not knowing much about bog requirements, is it possible to have an area that deep? And would the entire area need to be planted, or could there be bare areas for them? Oh, and how much damage would/could they cause by tramping around on the plants?

2. How big (or small) can a bog be to survive & be effective? I've been figuring about 3'-4' x 3'-4' in diameter x 2 (one for each gender area) when it was going to be a watering hole only. That's sort of the amt. of space that can be allotted from each of the habitat areas (or one BIG one -- 6'-8' or so by 3' or so --separated by fencing).

Then there's still that vision of little turtle turds (sorry) lying around in the gravel bed, waiting to be decomposed & "eaten" by the plants' roots.... Would the "bog" water be safe for them to drink?

3. And I am really embarrassed to say this, but I don't have a green thumb or a sense for design & landscaping. I'm afraid that even if I get all the right plants & follow plans to the letter, well, I'm afraid I'll kill my bog!!

So now my fears regarding a bog for my boxies are exposed! Help me, here, guys & gals, 'cause I do believe that a bog environment will present the most natural, close-to-nature set-up for my babies and for my pond-to-be in general (I will still plan for a bio-filter, too).

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
question #1, The gravel could be formed in small mounds and such to from everything from dry areas for them to bask to water that is 6" or more deep. From what I have seen box turtles prefer to woolow in water 1"-3" deep. The plants will out grow any trampling but you will want to make sure and use plants that are safe for the turtles to eat.
Question 2- 4' x 4' x 12" deep x 2 would be good, bigger is better but this will work for sure.
Concern #3- Taro, , La. Iris,, dwarf papyrus, cork screw grass, lemon grass, hosta's will all work plus there are many many more easy to grow species that will do quite well. This is why bigger would be better. More area for the plants to grow, more room to leave for the water for the turtles, more food for them to eat on.
lastly, dropping or waste from anything living will be the same to break down, Turtles, fish waste, tadpoles it all gets broken down in the filters. The bog will be pumping water from below and pushing up so the turtle droppings will bet flush out pretty quick, now You may want to take extar precations to try and remove as much of this BEFORE it gets to the fliter as possible, It can in the skimmer pre-filters, a vortex chamber, a sieve filter or simply filtering through some matala pad that can be rinsed every so often to remove the solid waste out of the system before it gets to the bio chamber. This will help greatly in helping brakdown all the waste and leave the water much cleaner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FISHIN -- Thanks a bunch, neighbor!! I have some ideas and have already started boring hubby with my plans :) Yes, I will need varied depths, and will probably make this as one large bog, separating the gender sides with fencing, rather than do 2 smaller bogs. Now time to do my what-plants-are-turtle-safe research, though for some reason mine aren't foragers....

I'll have more questions soon, but will post in a new topic.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
TM when you get all those nice delicious looking plants in your bog the turtles may decide to take a nip now and then and if they find ones they like............look out,lol!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL! Are blueberry bushes good for bogs? If so, I'd never get the blue-mouthed little critters out of the water! They love 'em (blue berries) so much, I planted one in their habitat! Silly turtles!

Hmm, what about strawberries?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've heard of cranberry bogs but not blueberry bogs. Think they and the strawberries might drown.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My father raised acres of strawberries on our farm and strawberries may get root rot and turn black if they get too much water >I grow strawberries here for me and my fish .The strawberries like moist soil but like dry out times to produce strawberries or the berrie will mold on the stem .Blue berries do like moist conditions just like raspberries and blackberries and even grapes .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok another search on the net says:

Blueberries have the same physical site requirements as other fruit: good air drainage and internal soil drainage. A site with good air drainage will have a higher elevation than much of the surrounding area. This will facilitate movement of heavier, colder air away from the planting on cold spring nights. In addition to good internal soil drainage, the soil should not compact easily. Despite what the general public believes, blueberries do not grow well in swamps or bogs; the roots must be above the water level.

The above was taken from this link below:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ho/ho60/ho60.htm

Ask a Question