Food

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I live in NC and have a small 6x6 pond with 8 goldfish. The pond is not heated and I feed my fish once a day. They seem not to be eating. Is that normal? Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it's getting cold down there and the water temps go down below 50f fish don't need food and actually could hurt them if you give them food. Metabolism slows down for them and food may not digest and cause issues. We usually wait till Spring here when temps rise to feed again. Will not hurt them to not feed them all winter when temps are low. Your outdoor goldfish actually do not ever need to be fed all year long as they get enough themselves from bugs, algae, anything that they can get in your pond. I didn't feed mine for several years and they did fine. Then I started to feed a little so they would like me,lol!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
depending on your pond and filters , FEEDING MAY ONLY BE ACTING AS A DESERT gold fish can usually thrive with no food from us in a pond. you have a low number of fish but its all based on the gallons of your pond. i have two gold fish i never see come up when its feeding time . they simply munch the algae and plant roots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. I find that very interesting. My pond is about 500 gallons. I just have 8 goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as the gold fish grow and depending on which species they very well may outgrow that size pond.

Ask a Question