Feeding fish with other than fish food?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I see there was a recent thread about fish food.

It got me thinking there should be a sticky listing things people feed to their fish other than designated fish food. If there is already a sticky, I apologize. Maybe post up that link if it exists.

I know some people feed peas, cheerios, watermelon.

Maybe we can start a list of what is ok and how to feed each item.
For example, peas...I think they should be raw and I think there was mention of pulling the skin off. How do you pull the skin off a tiny pea? Or maybe they weren't raw, maybe frozen peas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I feed greens from my garden daily. My goldfish like kale, spinach, lettuce, bok choy, and collards. They don’t like beet greens, mustard greens, or cabbage. They also get goldfish pellets every day, mainly to keep the nitrate levels up for my plants, which I don’t otherwise fertilize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I feed greens from my garden daily. My goldfish like kale, spinach, lettuce, bok choy, and collards. They don’t like beet greens, mustard greens, or cabbage. They also get goldfish pellets every day, mainly to keep the nitrate levels up for my plants, which I don’t otherwise fertilize.
Do you just throw a big piece of those greens in or do you chop them up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I see there was a recent thread about fish food.

It got me thinking there should be a sticky listing things people feed to their fish other than designated fish food. If there is already a sticky, I apologize. Maybe post up that link if it exists.

I know some people feed peas, cheerios, watermelon.

Maybe we can start a list of what is ok and how to feed each item.
For example, peas...I think they should be raw and I think there was mention of pulling the skin off. How do you pull the skin off a tiny pea? Or maybe they weren't raw, maybe frozen peas?
You blanch the peas quickly in boiling water...I think 1 minute...and then the skin comes off easily. you just squeeze them and the pea pops out in two little half spheres:) I use frozen peas....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, you've already named a couple of my fish's favorite snacks. Watermelon (OMG!! How they LOVE this!! Well, except for Yukon, who doesn't eat it at all) and Cheerios. They also love cantaloupe, but it must be chopped into little bite-sized pieces (unlike watermelon, they can't chomp it off the rind) They also like oranges, but again I have to break the segments into bite-sized pieces.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
“Do you just throw a big piece of those greens in or do you chop them up?”

I just toss whole leaves in, and they chop them up.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
You blanch the peas quickly in boiling water...I think 1 minute...and then the skin comes off easily. you just squeeze them and the pea pops out in two little half spheres:) I use frozen peas....
Beats using a tiny itty-bitty peeler any day! ;-)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've wondered about this but was too lazy to follow up. Now -- no excuse. Thx for the input and ideas. I'll try some new things for my goldfish and see who salutes .....
Mitch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Mine like the grass hoppers that land in the pond, the visiting children also like to catch them and feed them to the fish.

Ask a Question