For The Green Thumbs Out There!!! How To Make The BEST Raised Garden Bed!!! NO COST!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would also add that getting seeds to sprout is one thing - getting plants to grow and produce is another. I can sprout seeds on a wet paper towel. I start seedlings every year in plastic milk jugs, but they won't grow to maturity if they aren't planted out in the garden. My compost pile sprouted half a dozen zucchini plants, all seeds stolen from my neighbors garden and planted by a chipmunk. They died back as soon as they got a second set of leaves. Those are just a few examples that I can think of.

Your experiment is in the very earliest stages. I will continue to watch with interest.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK unless someone else replies, all im going to do from now on is update the journal. There is no encouragement in the words above. I don't even expect encouragement but you would expect more from a pond forum that says they are one of the friendliest forums out there (not imo).
Ive been on this forum for only a few months and its just stupid how much BS is said by others. Im not pointing fingers but the discouragement on here to do things and experiment is very abundant. ive been reported more than 10 times on here, for what???? its STUPID.
People keep lighting fires on me on here for literally no reason, I thought of leaving but I would rather not just leave when I started journals and such. Would kind of leave a cliff hanger. its sad that my 1000'th message or post is a complaint.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Relating to post #15...Whilst I'm not going to get into the 'ins and outs' of this conversation, this may well be a pond forum, but, the OP has quite correctly posted this in the General Chat section, which, according to the info given on the home page is an area for 'Off topic conversations, or just a hang out spot'. So unless I too am missing something here, I can't see there is an issue with the fact that this doesn't relate to pond talk.
If non pond topics are not allowed, this particular section shouldn't even be here. Where is the problem?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
@lisa, yes, I realise you don't have a problem with this thread. I felt I needed to share my thoughts and therefore my support, regarding the OP being told in post #15 that this was a pond forum and off topic items shouldn't be discussed.....when this is not true.
The home page of this GPF clearly states that this can be done within this section. I too have been at the receiving end of a similar public 'ticking off' comment on another totally unrelated forum whereby I posted about a particular exotic/tropical plant that I've been growing successfully for many years. The home page of that forum also clearly stated several times that this was most definitely allowed, despite the forum having a different specie of exotic/tropical plant as it's name....and I found it rather annoying to say the least.
The OP as far as I recall is 16, and we have ALL been there, energetic, full on, and enthusiastic to the very end, sometimes even needing reigning in, but not being ticked off for something that's perfectly right in the first place!

@Mitch, yes projects are good, achieving a satisfactory end result on something you've done yourself instead of paying others to do results generally results in a feeling of pride. My projects are generally undertaken single handedly now :-( so they often turn tail and end up as challenges :-/ unless I can get the help of a family member :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but not being ticked off for something that's perfectly right in the first place!

I don't think that's what he's annoyed about. He directly called out the people who he thinks are doubting his method to say he's proving us wrong, which is fine. But I think it's then acceptable to respond with further questions of his proof that he's been successful. I won't speak for Meyer, but I felt he was just saying he's here for the ponding, not so much the gardening, so he wasn't interested in going any deeper into the subject. Which is his prerogative.

@DutchMuch - sorry if you felt I wasn't being supportive. I work with kids your age and have found the best learning comes from thoughts and ideas being challenged - on both sides. I won't participate in this thread any more if my questions or input are offensive to you. For what it's worth, I haven't reported you nor do I intend to. I hope you continue to share and learn. I'm looking forward to the start of your pond build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
good idea , looks good in theory , can u create another one with same content just not the air chamber lets see how ur experiment goes good luck, i have used newspaper in one raised garden .

OK unless someone else replies, all im going to do from now on is update the journal. There is no encouragement in the words above. I don't even expect encouragement but you would expect more from a pond forum that says they are one of the friendliest forums out there (not imo).
Ive been on this forum for only a few months and its just stupid how much BS is said by others. Im not pointing fingers but the discouragement on here to do things and experiment is very abundant. ive been reported more than 10 times on here, for what???? its STUPID.
People keep lighting fires on me on here for literally no reason, I thought of leaving but I would rather not just leave when I started journals and such. Would kind of leave a cliff hanger. its sad that my 1000'th message or post is a complaint.

no dont b dishearten ur input is very good in this forum we learn from u alot , yes agree some ppl here can b different in a way when they convey which can look bad but if u see u have criticized others too in this forum shud the others complain? i agree there is a good way to do so and it shud b taken in to consideration . u can ignore ppl u dislike too

btw do u want ppl to tell u there opinion pros or cons to improve ur knowledge and project? :D if u welcome then i can say my thoughts and questions on it too , in every theory there are loop holes remember so it can b negated or improved , can b errors technically or according to laws of physics , chemistry , biology .

Relating to post #15...Whilst I'm not going to get into the 'ins and outs' of this conversation, this may well be a pond forum, but, the OP has quite correctly posted this in the General Chat section, which, according to the info given on the home page is an area for 'Off topic conversations, or just a hang out spot'. So unless I too am missing something here, I can't see there is an issue with the fact that this doesn't relate to pond talk.
If non pond topics are not allowed, this particular section shouldn't even be here. Where is the problem?

i have seen more random topics then this lol i agree i love gardening equally and pond - garden are both connected , part of ecosystem :D

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I won't speak for Meyer, but I felt he was just saying he's here for the ponding, not so much the gardening, so he wasn't interested in going any deeper into the subject. Which is his prerogative.

Thank you @Lisak1, though it may have come across as otherwise, that is exactly what i meant.
Any topic, barring politics and religion, is open for discussion on this Forum. That does not mean that I approve of this rule and I usually stay away from off-topics. In the case of this particular thread, my participation has been only to educate and pass on my years of experience. Some, however, take offense at this and think that it is criticism, which it is not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
All points duly noted but maybe we could all be more careful when wording our responses to give an expansion of our thoughts so that they don't have 'double meanings' that could cause offence.
Thanks Meyer for your post above giving further explanation to the comment I referred to. I recognise you reply to many posts on here freely giving good advise to many :)
I will look forward to reading how this project progresses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's possible for anyone to be offended by anything @moby if they set out to be offended, no matter how carefully you write or say what you are trying to say. For example, I could be offended that you appear to be telling me to be more careful about what I write - but I'm not. I assume your intent is good and I take your comments in the spirit that I believe you intend them. Plus - it's a pond forum... nothing offensive here! ;)

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@DutchMuch , I think it's a cool idea and just scrolled past all the unrelated stuff. I'd like to see how it turns out.
Thanks IPA for your reply!! :)

Just a simple update:
now all the seeds have sprouted and you can see the rows. Unfortunately my new GS freeta (her name is german and idk how to spell it, but that's how its pronounced kind of) stepped on some of the seeds... But they revived just fine it seems, no broken parts!!!

Reaction score
I like the idea and will give it a try in an area that is nothing but weeds. I need something other than the soil because no matter how much I weed they comeback. This looks like a good method for potato's.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the idea and will give it a try in an area that is nothing but weeds. I need something other than the soil because no matter how much I weed they comeback. This looks like a good method for potato's.
Another method good for potatoes, is to make a big box (made of pressure treated wood for outside use) about 2ft tall. Plant your potatoes in it, then as the leaves get larger and taller, add more layers to the box (layers of wood) then add soil in those layers.
Increases potato production.

Ask a Question