freaking out about first winter...

Reaction score
Not really looking for advice (tips welcome though), mostly just to vent.

We're heading from summer into autumn here, which makes it impossible to forget winter is on it's way. There's a crispness in the air every morning, and the leaves are starting to turn colour.

The pond is now sitting between 65 and 70.

I'm working on figuring out a way to clean the bottom before things get too cold, and will be building a cover (poly over PVC frame) for the pond to keep the weather off of it.

I've checked, double-checked, and re-checked, and according to agriculture Canada, I'm in zone 8a, so I have nothing to worry about.

Right?:banana:

Reaction score
canada is zone 8? I'm in 5 in jersey. Unless they have a different classification up there. I'm alittle worried about my 1st winter too. Been reading up on things. I just don't know when to turn off the filter. I kinda figured around the start of december unless we get a really bad cold snap before then.

Reaction score
LOL! Do not panic people. Our fish are starting to slow down to face the winter. Can you tell by looking at them yet? I see it in mine and I am in North Carolina. Their swimming speed has has definitely calmed down a bit--even when they eat.

Chilligirl, your instinct is correct. I was already looking over my pvc piping and netting today. I need to get a few more elbows and such, but I can see some of the leaves already starting to turn a deep red on our crab apple trees. In a good wind, leaves are already falling. Sigh!

Oldhead, you will do fine. Do you have an air pump ready to throw in to keep a hole open in the ice for removing the nasty gases? A good pump and 2 air discs (you can buy one at petsmart for $6.99), will be all you need for your size pond.

In some cases very young fish like yearlings (tosai) don't make it. But 9 times outta 10 you'll be surprised when you uncover everything in the spring. Start thinking about your pvc frame. I used to live in Jersey (Morristown), and there you definitely want to throw a semi clear tarp over the pond. Just build yourself a frame with long pvc piping that will bend a bit. configure it with some elbows and then attach the tarp/sheeting to it. It ain't pretty, but will salvage your fish. Throw some of the air stones in and keep 'em running all winter. You may choose to do a de-icer, too. Get one that has a thermostat on it that will only go on if necessary. But keeping the oxygen flowing is most important.

Reaction score
According to the USDA zone map, parts of British Columbia are zones 8a, but there are also zones all the way to 0. The map is quite colorful in this area.:banana: That being said, you probably know yourself what your usual winters are like. (of course every area has it's freak weather snaps) Prepare accordingly. Do a forum search on winter and you'll come up with various ideas for preparation based on the severity of the weather.

Reaction score
Yeah, Canada's climate range is just as diverse as the USAs. And BC is crazy - in one single province, we have coastal, temperate rain forest, desert, alpine, etc. etc. - you name a climate, you can probably find it in BC.

I live in Chilliwack, which is in BC's Lower Mainland. According to every USDA hardiness zone map I can find, including the one used by Agriculture Canada, Chilliwack is zone 8a. I'm sure for those 'wackers up in the mountains or out on Sumas flats it's more like zone 6 or 7. But for me, in town, well-sheltered in the valley between the mountains, 8a it is. My pond is butted up against the house on a south-facing wall, so is quite protected and should get as much sun as is possible through the winter.

The fish aren't slowing down just yet, but night time temps keep dropping right down to 55-60, so I know it's not far off. I plan to keep the heavy feeding up for the next couple weeks (supposed to be good weather), then switch to a wheatgerm food until it's time to stop feeding.

Here's a question - what do you think would be best to use as my cover? clear poly? solar swimming pool cover material (bubble wrap with blue backing basically)? Clear poly would obviously be cheapest, but would the swimming pool cover stuff make a significant difference in temperature?

Reaction score
If you're in 8a, clear poly will do fine. I'm in zone 6 and just use the typical plastic bird netting. I'm considering throwing a clear poly just on the top this year to keep all the tree and smaller leaf doodads out tho. But usually, I just do netting.

Ask a Question