Frogs disappeared

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cleaned my pond out about a week and half ago. Must have had 40 to 50 frogs in. Now. I see one or two large ones. A waterfall is running and the water is now crystal clear. Will the frogs still be around. I'd feel terrible evicting them. I'm considering putting a basically small wildlife puddle next to the pond and put some of the sludge in adding water. Is this a good idea? It would ease my conscience a bit

Reaction score
missing our frogs this year - hope that cold snap/snow/8degF weather we had didnt get them all.
It's not spring/summer without their sounds in the evening (we also have a lot of other small reptiles that make sound) but the frogs/toads are enjoyed... havnt even seen any tadpoles yet.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We haven't seen a lot of frogs late last year or this spring. The hawks are getting a lot of them plus we have some snakes that need fed and I suspect they are eating a lot. I did see a tadpole in the holding section of the pond. Never seen one that large. The head was larger than a quarter and it was over 2"long! Bullfrog!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a good few today. I am still going to make a dirty puddle for them somewhere in the garden. It's only fair. How long should I be until I add fish? It's been running a week and a half now. I cleaned the filter sponges and the pump today. Removed the sediment. Washed it all in pond water in a bucket. I tested as well. Ph is between 7 and 7.5. Nitrite 0. Phosphates 1.0 and ammonia 0.5. I'm reluctant to add fish with ammonia being 0.5 with nothing in except frogs. Or is it the frogs causing the ammonia and basically cycling it for me?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Whenever my frogs disappear, there's always a guilty bullfrog nearby
smfrog'.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw a good few today. I am still going to make a dirty puddle for them somewhere in the garden. It's only fair. How long should I be until I add fish? It's been running a week and a half now. I cleaned the filter sponges and the pump today. Removed the sediment. Washed it all in pond water in a bucket. I tested as well. Ph is between 7 and 7.5. Nitrite 0. Phosphates 1.0 and ammonia 0.5. I'm reluctant to add fish with ammonia being 0.5 with nothing in except frogs. Or is it the frogs causing the ammonia and basically cycling it for me?
you could put in a couple now, and with them, make sure you have plants too. Can't remember your details, but if your filtration is going (bio) and you have some plants, a couple of fish will actually speed along your cycling. Don't worry if you get an algae bloom as it's farily typical when re-filling/ starting new. When I first built my pond (2500 or so gallons), I added the fish and turtles right away but I did have quite a bit of water to help out. The larger the pond, the less you can change parameters and the more leeway you have until disaster strikes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tested again today. Ammonia is 2.0 and nitrite is 0.25. So the cycle is in full flow. It has to be the frogs. Them things must be hard as nails. Also seen a good few pond snails as well. I thought inverts were more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite. Il do another test next week. I'm hoping it isnt a dead frog or something

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Some inverts are more sensitive and obviously others not so much. Like pond snails that hitchhike in on plants, those guys are pretty tough. The only thing that keeps them in check in my pond are my turtles, and probably the catfish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to build a small shallow wildlife pond at the side of the pond. This is the shape. I know its not in the best area at the side of the pond and I know its under trees. But I felt bad for evicting the frogs. It will only be shallow as we have a rabbit and she free roams the garden. I was thinking six inch deep. Or is it a silly idea? Also my when I lift the slot to check my filter and the sponges arent clogged it absolutely stinks. Is that because it's in the process of cycling?

Attachments

• 20210418_161308.jpg
    20210418_161308.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 78

Ask a Question