Frogs in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Not sure where to post this. I will try here. I was at a local pond store. They have tons of tadpoles in there many ponds. I was wanting a few of them. They believe they are tree frogs.

My backyard is concrete with no natural tress or wildlife. I have an above ground pond. I do however have tons of insects. Will the frogs stay in the ponds area or wander off and most likley die? I don't want to get these if they will take off. I do have potted trees and plants aw swell.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They might survive might not, there is always a loss even in nature.
If all the 1000's of tads I get every year survived we would be over run with frogs

I would give it a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most likely Pacific tree frogs in your neck of the woods. They do like to wander off. Given enough habitat near the pond you can entice them to stay. In the pond they would like to nestle in something like water hyacinth or water lettuce. Near the pond potted plants are fine. Also logs and rocks with crevices. They like to hide under something like an overturned flower pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I happened to pick up some water lettuce today. I still looking for some logs. Thanks for the info everyone.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Frogs will decide what they want to do — stay or leave. I have a couple of resident Southern Leopard frogs, and there’s always an abundance of Fowler’s toads — in fact about a gazillion little babies all over the yard right now. This year we have a green tree frog....living among some cinder blocks. Go figure. Last year we had bronze frogs, and have had Cope’s gray tree frogs (my favorite). Just never know what’s going to show up each year! Or what’s going to stick around.

Green tree frog on PVC, inside a cinder block! What a racket from such a little guy!
EC193C99-FDE2-4157-AA0E-964AAB097A4F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would try bullfrogs they seem to stick around my pond. They also have another type mixed in. Both stick around. I have never see any of the tree frogs stick around I find the elsewhere in the yard but not in the pond. The bullfrogs will need a way to get out of the water and a place to hide. Once you get a big one he will seem to take over but other seem to stay as long as the pond is big enough for them to have their own space. 1 always climbs the waterfall and claims it as his own. I never have to add more tadpoles. I always have at least 4 or 5 each year.This will be the first year In 15 or 20 years I have because of the extreme cold spell last winter. They do have plenty of rocks around the pond with easy access to my yard whenever they want out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just a warning - if you get one bullfrog to stick around, you won't have many other frogs for long. We have one every spring who clears us out of the smaller varieties. Once he moves on, the others start to show up again. We like to think they just give him his space, but he sure seems to have a fat belly on the regular!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bullfrogs may be a good addition to ponds in some parts of the country especially where they are native. However they are considered invasive in California and should be removed. In addition to eating our native frogs they eat birds and lizards too, among many other native critters.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have green frogs, tree frogs, toads. We had a few bull frogs, they have moved on. I prefer they move on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hey Eddie,

Do you mind if I ask, what pond store you are going to? I live about 20 minutes from you, and I didn't realize there were any close by.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hey Eddie,

Do you mind if I ask, what pond store you are going to? I live about 20 minutes from you, and I didn't realize there were any close by.

Thanks
Creative Water Gardens in Escalon - http://www.creativewatergardens.biz/

They mainly display what they can build. They do sell pond supplies inside and have some pond and bog plants.. Best that I have found so far. Where do you go?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Creative Water Gardens in Escalon - http://www.creativewatergardens.biz/

They mainly display what they can build. They do sell pond supplies inside and have some pond and bog plants.. Best that I have found so far. Where do you go?

Ah yes.....I am aware of that place. It is a bit far, considering my range for work is from Elk Grove to Stockton and back. I do sometimes get extended lunches, so it may be worth a trip down there.

There is a tiny place called The Secret Garden in Elk grove that carries Horsetail reeds and a couple types of lillies....otherwise I have been experimenting with "found" plants.

I wonder if they carry Common Spikerush? I would love to find a potted variety, rather than pull some out of an irrigation ditch.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It was a bit far for us aswell. We have nothing in Lodi or Stockton. I had to check it out. I had to use a vacation day, since they are closed on my day off. I will check that place in Elk Grove out this weekend. Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just a warning - if you get one bullfrog to stick around, you won't have many other frogs for long. We have one every spring who clears us out of the smaller varieties. Once he moves on, the others start to show up again. We like to think they just give him his space, but he sure seems to have a fat belly on the regular!
I have to agree with @Lisak1 , I was happy to see the Bullfrog in my pond, until it took one of my koi along with every single frog I had....now if we see one, we relocate it several miles away from our pond

Ask a Question