Want pond without frogs/plants

MSH

Reaction score
Fully sun exposed rock pond in South Carolina. 1,100 gallons. Don't have fish anymore bc birds kept eating. Emptied pond, killed all plant life and no longer want frogs. I just want it to be a pretty water feature. Was thinking chlorine, but afraid of damaging liner. Bromine is just as bad... Can I do salt?... do I just get salt tablets and drop them in every so often? That will keep frogs and algae growth?

Any ideas how to keep clean and not invite pooping creatures (boo frogs) :)

Just concerned about damage to liner

MSH

Reaction score
How do I salt, like from a pool place for salt pools but double/triple the dose.... table salt and dump some in each day? 1,100 gallons. I'm fine with white salt line bc think rocks would hide it

MSH

Reaction score
But I still need to put algae control or salt will take care of that...?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I don't know how much salt to add, but it would not evaporate. you would only have to add more if you lost water due to leakage or you had to drain some off because of excessive rain. Remember if it overflows, the salt water would damage plants and soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Algae grows fine in saltwater and if you go the salt route, you'll have unsightly areas of salt creep.
There will be a degree of maintenance with any water feature because a biofilm will develop on all submerged surfaces, fed by organic matter that will enter the water feature over time.
If you make the water too toxic, you'll have a large outdoor deathtrap where you'll be constantly removing dead animals and bugs.
Perhaps keep it freshwater, install a good filter system, use mosquito dunks and plan on regular maintenance. Add a screen somewhere that will keep out the frogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I agree that it will be much easier to use something like chlorine.

Treat it like you would treat a swimming pool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Out of curiosity - what's your objection to frogs? Without plants, I don't think your water feature will be that attractive to any wildlife, but whenever you have water, frogs will find you. Creating a water feature that will kill any creature that happens to wander in seems kind of counterproductive - you'll still get frogs, they'll all just be dead. That's not real pretty!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Salt is not your answer as there are species of algae that tolerate extreme salinity quite well. Additionally salt is very corrosive when used at high levels. It will eventually destroy any standard pump that you might use. Only Titanium housed pumps are recommended for salinity reaching that of seawater and they are quite expensive.

MSH

Reaction score
Hello all....looks like I'm back to square one and will need to go the screen route to keep frog out (I get so many frogs...everything in pond is fuzzy with poo).

Perhaps I'll get some brim to eat the tadpoles as a screen is unsightly...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can solar salt at any home improvement store and I would also think at high levels a pump may be at risk .Have you checked to see what they use on pondless water features .I saw it on a show on tv but can't remember what they added .

Ask a Question