Frogs in the pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Which is why I don’t import frogs to my yard (as in mail-order or scavenging local waterways), nor do I keep Bull Frogs!

It’s bad enough to have to listen to all the people complaining about the bird and lizard damage caused by outdoor and feral cats — and we go to great lengths in our family to have indoor-only cats! And what’s worse is when cat owners “complain” and whine about all the terrible things that happen to their cats: disappearances, burned with gasoline, covered in “substances,” , shot, firecrackers in their butts by local hudlums (Yes!), poisoned, hit by cars, killed by other pets or by local wild critters....... KEEP YOUR CATS INDOORS, PEOPLE!!

AND DON’T KEEP PREDATORY “PETS” UNLESS YOU’RE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES! Yes, your not properly caged python or boa WILL eat your dog........and maybe even you kid!

......sorry, I had to rant! Any frogs — except BullFrogs — are welcome in my pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. The big guys will catch anything they can fit in their mouth - which I'm honestly OK with. I just don't like when they catch, kill, and then realize it was too big to get down their throat! This guy got a one way ticket to the big pond down the street where he had to face things that were bigger than himself!

Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Living in a rural part of Florida in the state forest, i would never even contemplate adding any more wildlife to my property. Frog's find their own way and of course there are predators right behind the frogs but if we just leave everything alone, the natural habitat doesn't get disturbed (too much) and everything stays in check.
I get it that not everyone lives in the sticks and the concrete jungle pushed a lot of the wilderness away along with most of it's inhabitants. So importing or relocating and trying to domesticate wildlife, which by all means is exactly what all of us are trying to do with the least amount of impact on the surrounding environments.
It's a fun and exciting time when my ponds attract birds and frogs and everything in between when I know that I didn't have to relocate or introduce these creatures. I just let the wildlife be wild and enjoy what is naturally occurring.

I know that I went off on a little rant but I felt that I needed to get it off my chest. All in all after everything I said I know that it came off sounding authoritative and yadayadayada, just be smart about the introduction of wildlife that is wild and not domesticated or in a enclosure. Nautre always will find a way so let it find its way to you if that is what you want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Nick83 you did indeed have a lot to say there, I'm just not sure I got the point! I THINK you said that it's best to just let your pond attract whatever it will attract and let nature take care of itself... did I get it right? If so, I agree! But there are also those times when things get attracted to our ponds that we may not prefer to see there - such as the dreaded heron - and endanger those things which we DO want to see there - like our pond fish - then man has to do a little intervention, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also - every time I see your screen name I'm reminded of a beautiful kayaking trip down the Weeki Wachee - such a unique place! (I broke my wrist kayaking on that trip, but that's not the fault of the Weeki Wachee!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never caught my frogs eating fish or birds. But if they do it is the way nature works.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@Nick83 you did indeed have a lot to say there, I'm just not sure I got the point! I THINK you said that it's best to just let your pond attract whatever it will attract and let nature take care of itself... did I get it right? If so, I agree! But there are also those times when things get attracted to our ponds that we may not prefer to see there - such as the dreaded heron - and endanger those things which we DO want to see there - like our pond fish - then man has to do a little intervention, right?

Yes, that is exactly what Im saying. Not everyone has to agree, and I know every pond is different .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I agree with a need for intervention. I live in a semi rural area next to about 1000 acres of open space. If a non-native invasive destructive species (bullfrog) finds its way to one of my native wildlife ponds it has to be dealt with. Relocation of wildlife is not an option as it is frowned upon or illegal.

I also choose to intervene when mother nature sends rats to eat the wires in my car or gophers to eat the roots of my fruit trees. Even if the poor fellows have been relocated here from a kind hearted neighbor who doesn't want them on their property.

I also intervene when mother nature fails to provide water for the many birds that like to frequent my property.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Last night the tree frogs and toads were screaming and caught a tiny tree frog on the act. So incredibly rude! There was a few of them so I had to dubb them the Lily Pad Quartet.
20180721_011214.jpg

Ask a Question