Full Black Shubunkin?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
There were only 3 fishes previously(2 shubunkins & 1 red cap). And now there are many babies in my 2000liters pond.(https://www.gardenpondforum.com/posts/337409/)

Now everything is normal but there is this one baby all black. Whenever I see him I wonder how a shubunkin can be all black, what is he doing here. Except this one all other babies are normal, colourful.
IMG_4042_result.JPG

What do you think? Do you already have black shubunkins?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A Shuibunkin is a variety of Goldfish not a separate specie, This means that any progeny can include what are termed 'reversions' to the natural colored Carassius auratus, which is usually black or sometimes a blackish green. The belly will of the fish will be light colored, often white, sometimes gold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
nice to see ur fry growing , shubunken has ambigous definition , i think it can b of any colour and type , u can also have full white and albino scaleless. i have/had adult full white , full red , full olive dark brown as ur fry .
it can either turn orange or stay brown but may not b jet black i have never seen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Black colored babies actually have a better chance of surviving because of their ability to hide. For every baby fish you see there could have been dozens of fry that didn't survive because they were eaten by your fish and sometimes even eaten by other babies. I have had dozens of black goldfish over the years. Most of them change to some variation of orange or red eventually. Sometimes it can take a few years and sometimes they change after only a few months. Some of my prettiest fish started out black.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
A Shuibunkin is a variety of Goldfish not a separate specie, This means that any progeny can include what are termed 'reversions' to the natural colored Carassius auratus, which is usually black or sometimes a blackish green. The belly will of the fish will be light colored, often white, sometimes gold.
Agree with you but I have never seen any black coloured shubunkin before that is why I was wondering.
However as I am new(1-2yrs) to fish keeping, I think I'll get to see more such surprises.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Harshit from my own experience I have never seen any black shubunkins either. All of my black goldfish were always comets and never shubunkins. It's interesting that I have one shubunkin female that is almost all black but I have never seen any shubunkins in my pond start out black. My definition of a shubunkin is any fish with calico coloration so it's pretty broad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Harshit from my own experience I have never seen any black shubunkins either. All of my black goldfish were always comets and never shubunkins. It's interesting that I have one shubunkin female that is almost all black but I have never seen any shubunkins in my pond start out black. My definition of a shubunkin is any fish with calico coloration so it's pretty broad.
I also expect them to be calico or having more than 1 colour.
For this one I think it is not pure black because when it turns around it gives a nice yellow/gold reflection.

One more doubt I have is that their body(not tail) is similar to oranda, so is that possible that they are a mixed breed of shubunkin and oranda?

Both of these babies are of same shapes as you can see in picture they're around 3cms in length.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You will most likely see this baby change colors. As @CometKeith said - many fish babies start out black and turn as they get bigger. Some of mine have taken up to two years, but we've never had one stay black.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One more doubt I have is that their body(not tail) is similar to oranda, so is that possible that they are a mixed breed of shubunkin and oranda?

All Goldfish, plain and fancy, are of the same specie Carassius auratus auratus thus sharing the same genetic lineage. All varieties can interbreed just like all other animals that are of the same specie.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
the one i have can b shubunken , few of its scales gliter too and have different shades but as we said its not black black , its just dark brown unlike black moore fancy goldfish i wud call that true black .
i had 3 adult shubunkens black which survived , one had very nice maroonish hue underneith , it was very nice but i lost that one , the black ones are usually not that pretty or noticeable in pond . they look better in aquarium under florescent tube light u can see different rainbow shades .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now have 12 black shubunkins ranging from 1 - 5yrs old. I recently caught them all to put them in a different pond as some are of breeding age and I do not want them breeding with the calicos. I did notice they had a feint gold-ish belly but other than that have stayed black.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I now have 12 black shubunkins ranging from 1 - 5yrs old.

Welcome @Von Trap to the GPF!

This is an older thread that might not get much notice, but I thought I would pop in to say that I'm pretty sure that by definition a shubunkin is tri-colored. I've seen black and white shubunkins, with blue undertones (I think they're called Black Opal) but an all black fish would be just a plain old goldfish. I mean, they're all just goldfish, but without the color pattern, they are not considered shubunkin. Whether or not they would produce true shubunkin babies would be interesting to find out!

Ask a Question