Full Black Shubunkin?

Ida

Pond noob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
I know this is an old thread, if there is a newer one, please send me the link.

I’ve been trying to get more information on Shubunkins in general, but especially their growth from egg to adult. It seems my Google skills have failed me

We’ve had our pond for a little over 2 years (started out with a much smaller one and have had the newer one (700-800L) for about a year now). Last year our 8 Shubies had a nice party during Spring time (September-October) and I decided to try and save the eggs before they’re all eaten like the year before… long story short we’re now proud parents to 2 fingerlings I’ve been following their development and colour changes even though it’s a bit difficult seeing them properly in the pond.

The younger/smaller one started out white (was so much easier to spot and follow), then developed some black patches around 2 months which faded after a month and now they’re a yellow-orange.
The older/bigger one started out black/dark, so difficult to find him in the pond, but s/he was usually hanging around their “sibling”. At around 3-4 months his underside started lightening up. When I took a photo today the lighter colour seems to have a golden/bronze tinge and his still mainly dark on top (some light patches on his/her face).
Both their tails are short, not sure if they will grow longer later on or if this is an early indication of gender/type of shubie.

My question: Do you have any updated photos of your shubie fry/fingerlings? They should be a few years old now. And how did their colour change during their growth? What can I expect from mine or should I just be patient and wait it out?

We have different coloured adults in the pond, but they mostly seem to party with the yellow (with a white belly) lady: 1 full calico, 1 orange with black spots, 2 yellow with some white underneath, 2 red with white underneath, 2 white (one with red patches and one with red patches and black spots).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My question: Do you have any updated photos of your shubie fry/fingerlings? They should be a few years old now. And how did their colour change during their growth? What can I expect from mine or should I just be patient and wait it out?
My shubbies vary from many colors to few colors and over time I have a herd of blackish, bronze looking ones that stay that way. They are sort of a throw back to a normal carp type fish ie no bright colors. Sometimes the black bronze ones will color up to just orangeish color, not often.

The fins usually are longer even as fry. I have not followed any one fry in particular, have way too many.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aren't shubunkins a color and not a breed? I thought that only calico coloring could be called shubunkin.

Wouldn't ones with only red and white coloring then be sarasa goldfish?

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aren't shubunkins a color and not a breed? I thought that only calico coloring could be called shubunkin.

Wouldn't ones with only.red and white coloring then be sarasa goldfish?
Yep! Refer to Meyer’s post #11, above (miss him). It’s exactly like, say, dog breeds. Breed poodles with poodles and you get poodles. Breed poodles with something else and you get doodles. They’re all dogs and can interbreed…..and will eventually (after many generations), end up as a generic canine.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
yep my calico colored subbies have made gray, bronze, black fish.
I started out with a mix of Shubies and solid comets. Now, all I have are comets and the occasional white or a white with orange. Wish I had started out only with Shubies…..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You may have still ended up in the same place.

I've had fry that looked like they were definitely shubunkins, but lost all the black spots over time. Some may be bi-colored now, but none kept the tri-coloring.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I had started out only with Shubies…..
I have only shubies, have white ones with blue black spots, multi color, tri color, just white and black, red and black, orange and white and black and of course the black, olive ones.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here are some of them, 2020
IMG_4812.JPG
IMG_4808.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Wow, what a great picture addy1..Beautiful assortment of color!....I am seeing more and more fry every day:( Now I am thinking I probably received more females than males in the original 7 shubunkins. The fry are a few different sizes and the males are still chasing...oh boy....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fry are a few different sizes and the males are still chasing...oh boy....
I don't feed the fish all summer, it really keeps the fry in check. The fish go insane when the eggs are dropped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I know I shouldn’t feed them but I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching my animals (birds included) eat. I will cut down though..my dog eats better than I do:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm gonna start feeding mine way less like I used to as I don't need anymore fish in there and don't need all the cleaning all the time w/more poo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Isn't there anything we can put in our ponds to eat the fry...My shubies aren't touching them even after I have cut back on their food...Do frogs eat fry?

Ask a Question