sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have stainless steel clamps on my pond pumps for 11 years now and they have not rusted and have used the same ones over and over again for years now .They are in the water and I even have the salt in my water .Boats use all kinds of stainless steel .It depends on what other metals stainless is in contact with ,just like copper cannot not be used with other metals ..

Reaction score
I have stainless steel clamps on my pond pumps for 11 years now and they have not rusted and have used the same ones over and over again for years now .They are in the water and I even have the salt in my water .Boats use all kinds of stainless steel .It depends on what other metals stainless is in contact with ,just like copper cannot not be used with other metals ..

You know what, it may even come down to the grade of the stainless steel. Im certain you know about the grades, so its possible that im talking about a lower grade than you are. As you have said, to get the good grade stainless steel that won't rust, it would be quite costly anyways.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The rust on your cage bottom is probably the result of using carbon steel electrodes to weld stainless, or simply a poor grade of SS. Hose clamps also come in a SS band, with regular screw mechanism, but sold as 'stainless'. When buying clamps, make sure they are 100% SS.
John

Reaction score
The rust on your cage bottom is probably the result of using carbon steel electrodes to weld stainless, or simply a poor grade of SS. Hose clamps also come in a SS band, with regular screw mechanism, but sold as 'stainless'. When buying clamps, make sure they are 100% SS.
John

I agree.....I wish I could get a different kind, but this has a huge built in plastic shield at the bottom....it helps prevent mess by like 80%

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Most "stainless steel" made these days doesn't have a nickel worth or nickel in it. The only good stainless steel is "marine grade".

Buy the galvanized cages, they're light and easy to transport. Put them where you want, open the "lid", fill them with substrate (gravel), wire the tops shut. Voila.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The gabions are not supposed to be a decorative feature in my case.
They are used as a decorative feature but I assume you mean you're not wanting it to be a decorative feature. There's a common cheap plastic fence you could use. Seen at a lot of construction sites.
transparent.gif
transparent.gif

plastic_rolled3.jpg

Comes in green too.

Actual gabion cages are made from pretty thick steel wire, very strong. But compared to chicken wire the plastic fence would be way stronger. But it both cases you'll won't get a nice cube type result. More of a bean bag chair type look.

My pond is unlined and fed by a powerful spring (It actually overflows most of the year). Last year I built a smaller, lined pond on a higher level with a waterfall to the main (mud) pond. The waterfall ended up being more powerful than I expected and it's "tunnelling" out the area behind and below itself under water and stirring up mud. I figured if I built a sort of three-walled box of gabions below the water line it would prevent this.
Don't know how big your falls is but that should work. Actually just some rocks should work, or just a single gabion. The wall thing sounds like it would be difficult to do and probably not needed. The walls could be added if just a "floor" wasn't good enough.

Why gabions? Because my grandmother was a fanatical gardener! She had this place before me, and she fanatically sifted her garden soil for 40 years. The result? Really nice carrots - and a pile of golf ball sized rocks 10 feet tall and 20 feet wide. I figured I could solve my waterfall problem and get rid of the pile at the same time. (I'd say "kill 2 birds with one stone", but puns are the lowest form of humor)

I suppose I could take the coward's way out and just get a less impressive pump and thus turn down the waterfall.
NEVER!!!

What if I made bags from nylon deer netting and filled them with my rocks and stacked them like sandbags in a WWII movie? I figured the gabions would be more secure and easier to stack, but I don't want to poison my pond!
Since it's made for outdoors I'd assume it would be OK. UV can destroy some plastics pretty fast. Then you have a bunch of little bits of plastic in the pond. Kind of a pain. For sure don't use those poly sand bags, they break down pretty fast and tons of little bits everywhere.

Golf ball size is pretty small, so you'll need something with a small enough mesh. They make lots of plastic mesh that would work. This stuff is pretty tough. You can blend it with a heat gun (carefully) to form a cage, or cut it and use zip ties.
7464d2e0-624e-434b-8128-3debb5247c09_400.jpg

I've used both of these products in ponds. Plastic doesn't last forever so expect to replace it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Can you be certain of where the plastic comes from though waterbug in researching large plastic bin lids for our filters we discovered that not all plastic is inert and can if made from the wrong plastcs leach toxins into the water which could well be harmful to your fish .
Just a thought

Dave

Ask a Question