Gambusia or Guppy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
What weird weather, huh!?
I am having a dilemma. I got two female guppies and one male. The females are fat and happy. Hungry. Exploring. The male isn't looking so good. I noticed when I got him that his fins weren't so great. He is sort of clamped up and doing the "shimmy." He didn't eat. He isn't hiding but certainly doesn't look good.
I think he is sick. I hate to be a fish killer, but I'm wondering if it will be smart to just flush him to keep the females from getting whatever he has.
He was $2, so a trip back to the pet store isn't likely.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm down here with ya! :)
I was curious since I have a similar small pond and was contemplating what to do with it this weekend. I can't bring them in during the winter though so I'll have to leave it as is.

What's happening this week-end? It certainly is not going to get cold in your area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
What's happening this week-end? It certainly is not going to get cold in your area.
I'm guessing this weekend is planned as a "get outside and work on the pond" weekend. I'll bet the thought of adding fish came to mind. But since she doesn't have an option for indoor sheltering for next winter, guppies are a no-go.
Am I right, tbendl?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
The only reason the betta occurred to me was their ability to breathe air. The lotus "pond" won't have aeration. But I will have a bunch of other plants in it, so hopefully that will help with oxygen.
I think it will be guppies!
I might even go ahead and get them and let them live in a bowl in the house till the temps are warm enough outside. Today it was 88 -- TOO HOT (for me) -- so I think Spring is on the way!
Thanks to all!
i had guppies long time ago , they dont need aeration filteration either in small pond , but they will multiply and overflow in a year , u can have one betta too after gupies start spawning , it should live with guppies and may eat small fry to keep it control .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup to what @bagsmom said. I was trying to figure out what to do with another preformed pond that I think the previous owner used for baby fish, maybe a quarantine area. Anyway it's super deep and I was wondering what I could do with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
So my guppies are in a bowl with some anacharis, waiting for the weather to warm up so they can go outside.

Husband came in and saw the bowl of guppies (with the big pond in the background out the window) and said:

OK, now. This isn't the Georgia Aquarium.

Snort, snort! :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I was gonna do guppies but since my temperatures don't go to the 70s till much later in the summer I think I'm gonna do zebra danios in my bog. I got a small level of water over the pea gravel that is a magnet to mosquitoes.
If the pond is not too big you can use a fish tank heater and get the fish out early. I used guppies in my front yard pond all last year till middle of November with a fish tank heater and in fall I covered with plastic dome to help keep leaves out and heat in. It worked very well. Going to do it again this year. I got so many guppies out of that little 100 gallon pond and they even swam up the stream in all the little places to look for food. It was so awesome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If the pond is not too big you can use a fish tank heater and get the fish out early. I used guppies in my front yard pond all last year till middle of November with a fish tank heater and in fall I covered with plastic dome to help keep leaves out and heat in. It worked very well. Going to do it again this year. I got so many guppies out of that little 100 gallon pond and they even swam up the stream in all the little places to look for food. It was so awesome.

I'm planning for them to go in the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
They should be fine during warm months but it will be very hard to catch them all when season over. But you will end up with lots more than what you started out with as they will breed like crazy and eat all small bugs nicely.

Nice... already got the star-fire danios ready... Next will be the guppies. Should be fun.

Ask a Question