Garden pond in a water run-off channel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I moved to a home with an established garden pond, about 5’ x 10’ long.
I didnt know it was there until the snow melted and it was revealed along with 15 comet goldfish!

Everything was fine, until some heavy rain storms and I realised that they built it into the ground along a water run-off path. Which means that its both fed by this run-off but also it means that during heavy rainfall there’s so much water passing thru the ground around itthat it pushes the liner up and empties the pond.
This was a near disaster for the goldfish, so I took some nearby round rocks and carefully placed them onto the ‘water bubbles’ to push it back down.

The previous occupants didnt manage the pond so I’ll have to clean it out at some point, but i’m not sure how to deal with the liner and water passing through it? I’m now thinking it’ll need re-engineering the construction.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas? Just place more slabs of stone to hold it down?

(photos of before and during the nightmare post storm)

Attachments

• 7B65C78B-C1E6-45F9-9B45-31C07A9B9756.jpeg
    7B65C78B-C1E6-45F9-9B45-31C07A9B9756.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2EE1AE9D-BC35-4A16-ACF6-4E95379BC921.jpeg
    2EE1AE9D-BC35-4A16-ACF6-4E95379BC921.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 70

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could do a berm and redirect the water around the upstream edge of the pond. Or a french drain.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

You could try rocking the pond - lining the entire interior with boulders. But it looks like a tiny pond and you'll lose volume. The liner rising up means water is getting under, so either a way for the water to escape under the liner (like a French drain) or you need to stop the water flow. And honestly, letting water flow through a garden pond to a natural waterway isn't a great idea - those fish get into the water way and you can upset the natural ecological balance. So I'd work to keep the water from getting to the pond.

Ask a Question