Gary New member, Canterbury UK

Gary Graham

Redballs
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard water
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i am retired and am a full time carer for my wife who has Alzheimers along with some other poor health issues, my pleasure is designing and building raised garden ponds of all shapes and sizes, i have just completed one for my wife in our garden as it helps her relax and give her some comfort watching the fish, she already has a small pond which is a preform pond which holds all the smaller fish, her new one is made from new railway sleepers and is raised to the height of 4ft, 8ft long and 4ft wide and designed so that she can get around in her wheelchair and still see into the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! If you have any pictures, we would love it if you could share those with us -- ponds built with love are the best kind :joyful:!! Your wife is blessed to have such a considerate caregiver.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Gary! Welcome to Garden Pond Forum! Agree with the two comments above. We are a fun group, like to smile and laugh a lot, tease sometimes, but most of all we enjoy talking about ponds and seeing pictures of what people have built. I would love to see your set up, and how wonderful that you built this so your wife can enjoy the fish, too! You are a very special person in my book. This world needs more like you. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I know that caring for some one is not easy and having a pond is relaxing for her is great .:)You sound like a really devoted husband

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! We enjoy chatting with others.

We took care of my husbands parents for years, his mom had Alzheimer's , dad did ok but was getting a bit of dementia. It is tough

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Gary, and would love to see some photos.

I built a raised pond a couple of years ago, and find it very relaxing. I really enjoy being so close to the fish, without having to get down to ground level. (Creaky knees & hips).
I know the pressures of being a full-time carer as I nursed my wife through the final stages of her cancer, so I know a little of what you're facing.

I hope working on the pond is a relaxing diversion for you as well as giving your wife pleasure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hi to u and your wife , Welcome , nice to hear uv made for her so she can enjoy very caring, what type of fishes u have, do u hv vieweing glass ? I had raised pond when i ws 12 ,sm times i wud use as swiming pool lol

Ask a Question