Geese in gold fish pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday we had 3 geese jump into our gold fish pond for a bit. Today all my fish are dying. Did the geese poison my pond with toxins? I’m very sad.
If they did poison it, is there a way to save any of my fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder if the geese were walking on some sort of treated grass somewhere? So sorry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Just taking a guess but they probably ate some geese poop which may have had something in it they are not reacting well too or geese nipped them and stressed them out. Either way more details may help but for the short term its nature and does not always work the way we wish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
3 geese in a pond that size shouldn't cause a problem.
What is it about the fish behaviour that makes you think they are dying?
How many and what size fish?
Have you done any water tests?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, hard to think that geese in the water would kill fish — so sorry to hear! Is your water filtered and/or aerated?

How old is your pond? How fish? Do you check your water parameters? Does your pond get any run-off?

Please post a few pics of your pond for us!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe the geese poop contaminated it completely. Well over 100 fish have died. Not too many left...:(
So sad!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I would never think geese would cause a pond to crash. Yours is pretty good size.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Right - three geese aren't going to poop THAT much "in a bit". Something's odd... if your dimensions are correct, your pond is well over 3000 gallons. These were all goldfish, correct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is the time of year that a lot of poison is laid out to control geese, and other animals. The problem is people use anything from antifreeze to poisoned grain feed, or rodent poison. People do not like geese pooping all over their property, with a secondary poisoning, which can happen the poison can be seen in the feces in different colors depending on what was used. Birds of prey are sometimes victims after consuming poisoned animals, and even with round the clock care they usually die, feces color normally gives an indication of what was used after they are found sick. People use avitrol to sicken geese and make them leave. Not sure but maybe they pooped some poison into your pond, if your fish died suddenly.

Ask a Question