Getting there

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Lovely! Can't wait to see more pics as you add to your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have fan tails in our 300 gallon pond, they do great, even made some babies. But they swim slow, I forgot to net it one time and the heron got all except one. Went to the hatchery and bought some more, now always netted with deer fencing. The one pond with a fine net on it. No frogs in it. So be ready to protect them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I have fan tails in our 300 gallon pond, they do great, even made some babies. But they swim slow, I forgot to net it one time and the heron got all except one. Went to the hatchery and bought some more, now always netted with deer fencing. The one pond with a fine net on it. No frogs in it. So be ready to protect them.
Can they live under ice? thinking about em on my pond, netted 24/7

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They live under our ice, which at times is thick at other times thin. Other times nothing. I keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange.

I had some real nice big ones in my 1000 gallon pond they did great, then we had to do a emergency run to Florida , tenant died, I was sick, so never checked the net. In Jan, it had a hole came back to over 50% of the fish gone and all the fantails.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
This winter i will check pond and ice and will see...now is snowing, but the pond is ok(is half covered)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can they live under ice? thinking about em on my pond, netted 24/7
what addy said; goldfish are tough, even fantails, but as noted, a bit slower moving. Heron food for sure if not netted well. As long as the pond doesn't freeze all the way down, you should be okay. I've had fantails since 2011 (actually, now just one as the other died a couple years ago) and they did fine over winter. This was before I tented the pond and had probably 14" of ice at times. If you have other fish with them, watch to make sure THEY get some food at least as they are slower!

heh heh, Welcome to the anigif party, btw! OHHHHHH @j.w ; now SEE what thou has wrought!!!! Comin' fer ya now from TWO sides!

stm2.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond contractor finished 9/10ths of my pond in two days! Have to wait for more rock in order to complete it. I am so pleased with the outcome. You won’t see any equipment/wires when he is done. Now for the fun part…plants and fish!

WOW - What a BEAUTIFUL pond! CONGRATULATIONS on your new backyard beauty.

I bet that you'll be wasting many hours sitting by its side relaxing. I mean spending many hours. Yeah that's it - spending.

ENJOY!!!

Ask a Question