GF behavior -- food aggression -- who'd a thought!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love watching animals, and observing their various behaviors!

I have a couple dozen GF fry of various sizes. I made some gel fish food for them [which they love, BTW]. I have trained [OK, conditioned] them to go to a small bowl in the tank where I put the gel food -- it sinks, but holds its shape. By putting the food in this bowl, I can tell how much they're eating, PLUS it makes it VERY easy to remove any uneaten food as it's in one spot and not scattered everywhere.

I was watching the fish the other day and saw the darnedest thing happen! The bowl had food in it, but there were no fish eating or anywhere close by at that moment. Then, one of the smaller fry dipped into the bowl, when OUT OF NOWHERE one of the larger fish swooped in and literally chased that smaller fish out of the bowl and totally away from the bowl. The larger fish didn't even go back to eat -- it just chased the smaller fish away!

So, I've been watching them -- the ones that I've moved into the 50 gal. tote and the ones still in the aquarium. Darn, if the same behavior isn't repeating itself! Reminds me of food aggression in dogs or cats! But it's for sure a territorial-thing with them. Anyway, I now keep 2 separate bowls with food in opposite sides of the tank/tote, so hopefully the smaller fish will have a better chance. I might have to end up doing away with the bowls and just scattering the food after all. SILLY FISH!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mmathis, That's pretty interesting. So even if the big fish didn't feel like eating no one else was going to be able to! I have never seen that in my pond because I feed flake food and it spreads out pretty fast,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mmathis, That's pretty interesting. So even if the big fish didn't feel like eating no one else was going to be able to! I have never seen that in my pond because I feed flake food and it spreads out pretty fast,

Who knows what usually goes on. I just happen to have these 2 groups of babies segregated by size in a large tote and an indoor aquarium (pond repairs are under way, so all the BIG fish are "holding" in a stock tank). I love watching them, and watching them eat, otherwise I might not have caught it at all. Dog in the manger? Maybe that's one explanation as to why big fish grow bigger and small fish stay small....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I love watching animals, and observing their various behaviors!

I have a couple dozen GF fry of various sizes. I made some gel fish food for them [which they love, BTW]. I have trained [OK, conditioned] them to go to a small bowl in the tank where I put the gel food -- it sinks, but holds its shape. By putting the food in this bowl, I can tell how much they're eating, PLUS it makes it VERY easy to remove any uneaten food as it's in one spot and not scattered everywhere.

I was watching the fish the other day and saw the darnedest thing happen! The bowl had food in it, but there were no fish eating or anywhere close by at that moment. Then, one of the smaller fry dipped into the bowl, when OUT OF NOWHERE one of the larger fish swooped in and literally chased that smaller fish out of the bowl and totally away from the bowl. The larger fish didn't even go back to eat -- it just chased the smaller fish away!

So, I've been watching them -- the ones that I've moved into the 50 gal. tote and the ones still in the aquarium. Darn, if the same behavior isn't repeating itself! Reminds me of food aggression in dogs or cats! But it's for sure a territorial-thing with them. Anyway, I now keep 2 separate bowls with food in opposite sides of the tank/tote, so hopefully the smaller fish will have a better chance. I might have to end up doing away with the bowls and just scattering the food after all. SILLY FISH!
Most interesting I'm wondering if the little guy released a chemical saying dinner is ready come and get it from the bigger babies who then mob anyone in their way to get to the food your seeing survival of the fittest in motion here TurtleMommy where the weakest go to the wall :(

Dave;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most interesting I'm wondering if the little guy released a chemical saying dinner is ready come and get it from the bigger babies who then mob anyone in their way to get to the food your seeing survival of the fittest in motion here TurtleMommy where the weakest go to the wall :(

Dave;)
Well, the odd thing about it was that the food was out there, sort of like "free choice" for our cats. The food was in a bowl so that the fish could graze-at-their-leisure, only no one was eating at the time. Then when the little guy showed up, the other fish....it was almost like he ambushed him. Chased him away, but didn't go on to eat anything himself. Actually, now that I mention our cats, it was like something I've seen our cats do when they are especially jealous or being territorial. And I've seen it repeated with different fish and in both settings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very interesting indeed! I think if we watch all types of animals - mammals, reptiles, fish, etc. - we will probably see similar behaviors. The bigger fish is trying to show superiority over the food, and others are not allowed to eat unless he's sleeping or not paying attention. I've had dogs before, not necessarily biggest one either, that would guard a food bowl so none of the others could eat. Not because the one was hungry, just being a bully. I'd say you have some bully fish, but as Dave54 says, it's survival of the fittest. And, yes, I believe you have come upon the reason is probably more ponds/aquariums than not, that some are much larger than others!

Ask a Question