Koi behavior

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ever since the pond water temp dropped in my pond one of my koi seems to hang out with its head down and it's tail fin up, almost like it is standing on its head. It has been doing this for the better part of a month. I thought it was dead or dying the one day, put my net in the pond and touched the fish and it moved to a normal fish stance.

Any ideas why a koi would be doing this? It is about 10 years old and has never done this before.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He could be trying to relax and chill :cheerful: Sorry mine do that once in awhile too .I see if I look close they are actually sucking stuff off of the bottom of the pond .scared me too ,but I have gotten used to it .

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
taherrmann4 I have seen this happen before. In one instance, I was breeding two Sanke males to a female Kohaku. The males were so brutal in trying to breed with her. At one point I almost jumped in to catch the female with our long net but because the pond was so large, I felt I might do more harm than good. Eventually we were able to catch this female and we could see that her back was broken. I felt so bad that I removed her to her own pond with some smaller Koi. She lived for another five years.
With many other females I had, I found that after they stopped spawning, they would do the same thing as your Koi did.
When I was called to consult on a pond where Koi were doing the same thing and others were lying on the bottom of the pond on their sides. The owner thought they were dead or sick but when he went to take them out of the pond, they took off like a shot. They continued to do this for a long time until they died.
I asked this gentleman how long he had the fish and he said that he had purchased them the week before. I asked him how he introduced them to the pond and he said that he had let the bag float and that when the temperature in the bag was the same as in the pond, he let them go. I asked him who told him to do this and he said that the store owner did. I told him that the reason why his fish were acting this way was because of pH shock. The pH in the bag would be so much different from the pH in the pond that these fish can go into shock and eventually die. As far as I know, there is no cure. I hope that this might be of some help.

Hugs, Lorraine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Never heard of Ph shock in our 27 years of keeping koi , yes weve had a koi from a hard water area loose its colouration but die because of Ph never .
It may well be that the koi in question has picked up a parasite and its causing this head down behavour please tell me taherrman4 are the fishes fins clamped to its sides and is the dorsal fin tucked in ?
It may be a good idea to get this guy out of the pond and to do a scrape just to be on the safe side .
Can you do scrapes and do you have a microscope to view the slide under after the scrape has been taken ?
If not can you get the koi too or get someone over to do one for you .
if you do have a microscope we can talk you through a scrape from this end no problem but then you need to know just what it is your looking for .

Argulus x 400.jpg
body fluke.jpg
Chilodonella.jpg
Columnaris.jpg
Costia.jpg
Epystylis.jpg
Gill fluke.jpg
Paramercium.jpg
Tricodina.jpg

Figure 1) Argulus
Figure 2) Body Fluke
Figure 3) Chilodonella
Figure 4) Columnaris
Figure 5) Costia
Figure 6) Epystyllis
Figure 7) Gill Fluke
Figure 8) Paramercium
Figure 9) Tricodena
We hope these help you in your hunt to find what is wrong with your koi.
Personally I think you may have flukes be it gill or body

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question