GH & KH levels

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just finished cleaning the filters in both ponds ( I admit it was a couple of weeks overdue.)
I noticed the fish are just setting on the bottom so I tested the water. Ammonia, nitrate & nitrite levels at 0. Ph at 7. GH & KH also at 0. MIne are normally in the 180- 240 range. I tested 2 times and got the same results. Household water tested at 180.What could cause a drop in these readings?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well glad you got it fixed mrsclem! and your fish are probably very happy with you.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
it might have been because your filters as you say were over due a clean, or as much as i know about them it can be because of leaves and stuff in the bottom of your pond, i do know that if they go to low they can leed to a crash in your ph, sorry i wasnt much help :0)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your filters will use up the kh but gh should never change except when it rains.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks everybody. Dodad, we did have heavy rain a couple of weeks ago, 19". Ihadn't done a water change since as I figured that would do it. I guess I will start testing my water every week again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You've go to watch that rain water it can give you a pH swing that will kill your fish. I always keep my kh between 150 and 200 with baking soda.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
exactly right.. especially large rains if your near large industrial areas...acidic rain can equal a ph crash!! ive seen mine go from 7.2 to 6.8 ...baking soda was the cure
( i am just outside detroit)

Ask a Question