Glueing rocks to flexible liner for vertical side of pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HI all,
I am still considering various options for my pond edging. One person has suggested that I use marine glue to glue rocks to the vertical edges of my pond, directly to the flexible liner, starting at the water level and working up to the edge. I then would like to do the edge with flagstone or perhaps brick.....What do you all think about this idea? Is there a glue product that would not be harmful to fish or wildfowl when dry?
Thanks for any advice you can give me~
Happy New Year to everyone!
View attachment 61856

Reaction score
I don't like the idea. Even with thin small rocks that will be very heavy. Unless the top of the tarp is very well secured I see the entire tarp falling down into the pond. Was the person able to provide any pictures of this having been done successfully?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes~ I see that point! Need to think how to hold the liner up in a strong way so as not to drag it all down into the pond! (I know this is sort of an a... backwards idea!) But just looking for creative ways to do the edging.....and also hide that portion of the liner that is on top of the water. The flagstone will hopefully extend about 1/3 out over the water. Hmmmmm now I need to think about this some more~
Thanks dieselpower!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you locate sod pins (aka fabric pins), at a garden centre you could bend them to a shape where one side is pounded firmly into ground outside the pond, other side of pin goes over liner and into water. Drill hole in rock and hang it like a plate on the sod pin....

fabric(sod)pin.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you considered ROCK ON A ROLL? I've never used it, nor have I seen it in use, but it sounds like a good alternative.

Also, one of our members, WaterBug, has somewhere posted how he makes edging blocks that hang over the sides and into the pond. DIY with concrete. Looked pretty easy, just time consuming. Darn, though, I can't find a link to that. Not sure if that would suit your needs, but guessing you could texture the concrete to look like just about any thing you wanted.

I'll keep looking for that link, or maybe someone else can find it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would think very carefully about this whole idea. My concern would be the stability of the edge - what if someone steps on it? Would it hold? Or would the whole thing - including the stepper - slide into the pond?

I don't know if you've posted about your pond elsewhere, but is there a reason your sides are completely vertical without a shelf to hold a coping - or rock - edge in place? Are you looking for something that looks natural? Or would a more formal edging work? Maybe something along the line of a concrete landscape coping would work for you. Not as flexible as individual rocks but it would provide more stability. They make them in a variety of shapes - maybe one would work for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all!
I would be interested in seeing WaterBug's ideas if anyone can find them? Thanks again!!!! Yes that is a good point about the edging being weak.....Hmmmmm.
Yes Lisak1 I do have ledges about 2/3 way around the pond....was going to use those for the marginals though......I am wondering if it is at all possible to just lay flagstone or other stone around the edges of the pond using glue-- of does the edging have to sit on a wall of rocks or something? The liner will be hidden if the edge hangs over the water about 1/3 of the stone, right?
On the other hand, maybe there is no way around it--- I just have to build walls inside the pond using rocks.....? :(
All ideas welcome!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used rock on the roll, it does well in hiding the liner. With our slope we had areas that there was no way to hide with using it. Over time it gets more and more natural looking.

Ask a Question