Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow, what a wonderful pond...well, pond hardly even comes close to what it is. So full of artistic, natural points of interest. Really like it all!
Thanks Dan the Mrs and I certainly enjoy it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love your attention to detail.
Thanks Cas
I do enjoy it . UNFORTUNATELY THE IDEAS NEVER STOP . Letting the entire log float is the latest and Mother nature has certainly taken off . while i did place some moss on the log . i did not plant the grass that has grown. at least i believe its a type of grass almost at the end of the log. time will tell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found a way to get the video camera to extra zoom so i thought id make a close up video showing the pond edging. This will also document growth over the seasons or even yeats.
hi GBBUDD, i have looked at hundreds and thousands of ponds and water gardens over the years but i think yours is one of the most natural looking creations i have ever seen :)kudos to you sir :finger:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hi GBBUDD, i have looked at hundreds and thousands of ponds and water gardens over the years but i think yours is one of the most natural looking creations i have ever seen :)kudos to you sir :finger:
That is quite the compliment , thank you, I have always kept the design in mind to look like it was the hand of nature who created the pond and not man made. But like your self I too have watched many a video or pictures of ponds and I know what's out there. And that says a lot THANK YOU

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey @GBBUDD: Where's your aerator located? I think you have one on your main drain? Do you just not run it all the time? I'm trying to decide where to locate mine, and I'd rather not have to see the bubbles disturbing the surface of the water. Thinking about putting it in the pump vault in the cistern. Or even sticking it at the back of a fish cave. Don't know if it will work as well in those locations, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is in the access to the bottom of the bog " snorkel "The bog will suck a lot of the o2 right out of the water column . so I aerate the snorkel . Yes I also have a rhino main drain with a 12" rubber bladder and a hiraki 120 air pump. Way over kill never use it, but in the winter when i put a double 8 inch portable bladder in the pond to keep an open area. and adds air for the shut down pond. That sits on one of the shallow shelves about 18" to 24 inches. I will turn it on a couple times a year just to let the fish play in the current and bubbles. I should add that the air bladder at the bottom in the winter which was the main intent disturbs the stationary temperature layers in the pond so thats why it is not used. not i was thinking about running a very very very small pump one that can just barely push enough air to make some small bubbles like you would see coming from the bottom of a pond. I have taken aquablock panels and bridged over the drain openings. and covered over the block panel with rock so they can not be seen nor can they hold down a fish i had a couple smaller fish get to close with the butterfly tails and got held to the drain even though there was two drains on the same line per code.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
God I love that log falls. Been looking for a piece of driftwood I could use to do something similar. No luck so far.

Been meaning to ask you:

You have what looks like a pretty large peninsula between your main stream/falls and your negative edge/schitt's creek. There's tons of planting in that area. Does your liner cover that area or is it open to soil?

This area:

20210822_143834.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
God I love that log falls. Been looking for a piece of driftwood I could use to do something similar. No luck so far.

Been meaning to ask you:

You have what looks like a pretty large peninsula between your main stream/falls and your negative edge/schitt's creek. There's tons of planting in that area. Does your liner cover that area or is it open to soil?

This area:

View attachment 142900
There is liner and fabric below. The liner is at the water level if not just above. This way the area always stays wet / damp. Those are pitcher plants there's 4 types in there. So theres a very thin layer of water that soakes through the layer of sand and peat. It is my favorite area dueto the pitcher plants and wait for it MOSS. Becareful what you put in there everything grows like wild fire.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sitting here drooling over you pond! Are you available to travel to make me a new one? :smuggrin:
Flattery will get you everywhere Like i said I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your neck of the woods. WOULD NOT TAKE MUCH TO TWIST MY ARM TO COME BACK OUT THERE.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Talk about a WET dream travel the country. Build others theIr WET DREAM. Just a jiigalo . I guess in this case i"d be koigalo?

Ask a Question