Going wrong

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can also get the big black garbage bags and use them inside dirty things to hold the pond water. I have used them a few times.

I was going to suggest the same - a trash bag inside of a big garbage can can hold lots of water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, water is very heavy. I'm interested in how your contractor intends on correcting the problem. Once all the water is out and the liner removed, how will he reinforce the structure? Noting this is a lot of work just to get at the base of the structure. Not only removing liner and water, but reinstalling them too.
Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you search this forum I know we've had a few members build above ground ponds and have shown the construction. Maybe something to show your contractor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm curious how the whole thing was constructed. I imagine a wooden frame covered on the exterior with the nice looking panels shown in your photo.
But what is on the inside between the wooden frame and the liner? I'm assuming it has a flexible liner. Did he line the inside of the framing with plywood? Or just add soil or sand against the framing? Something has to be backing up the liner. Not just wooden studs.
Maybe cemented block walls would have been better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was it in his work shop before delivery to my house

Attachments

• FDC05383-B95A-42C4-A3D1-E25DA0CB1B07.png
    FDC05383-B95A-42C4-A3D1-E25DA0CB1B07.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 116

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That plywood isn't going to hold up outside with moisture and humidity. Is there any other structure between the plywood and the paneling? An 8' sheet of plywood can't handle the weight of 4' of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I wonder what is under that OSB. I can't think of any way to strengthen up a structure like that. Maybe a steel frame? That would be overkill. I still think a block wall structure would have been a better choice. There's a lot of pressure on those side panels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good luck @Robert farrow . I'm glad your contractor is working with you on getting this done right. Hopefully now that he sees what happened, he'll have a better idea on how to reinforce the structure. There are engineering numbers that are not that hard to figure out when it comes to water and stress - I won't even address that as math is definitely not my strong suit. But he should have some interest in determining how much pressure those walls have to be able to withstand.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if his repair was actually the right thing but he had forgotten to screw the frame to base on one side so now he screws through the frame into the base and into the floor now I’m unsure on how strong it will be but he shown me pictures of ones he’s built using the same design and he said they where 5 years old and no signs of bowing so I can only hope and go off his experience

Attachments

• FCAB8288-87BE-4B3B-BB92-850AC4CA8BF4.jpeg
    FCAB8288-87BE-4B3B-BB92-850AC4CA8BF4.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 1BE79620-7D72-4B91-9B9E-F2879B3DEC4C.jpeg
    1BE79620-7D72-4B91-9B9E-F2879B3DEC4C.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I guess time will tell. I know nothing about construction, but it just doesn't seem to me that OSB is going to withstand the pressure of the water without reinforcement.

Pictures are great, but I'd ask him for referrals - those pictures MIGHT be 5 years old... but I'd want to double check that! Of course if he's built more than one of these I would hope he wouldn't want to keep building things that fail. So maybe he's right! He was quick to respond, so that's a good sign!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I no what your saying about the pressure i did mention that to him and he did say it is a tremendous amount but all I can go off is his word but like you said time will tell after reading your post I have literally just messaged him for a few referrals and he was absolutely fine no problem can he give them my number so they can contact he and verify his work so that will be interesting when I get the first call

Ask a Question