"Gold fish boil," anyone? or "Why ponds need shade" [in Dixie]!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If they survive this summer heat they will definitely be fine in our winter. At least that's my thoughts.
And LOL, I'm glad they were just being fish.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Haro,T. I see you've changed your avatar. Witness Protection Program? :D
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Like the saying says always plan ahead and plan for 2 times what ever could be the worst of what ever may come your way .I guess that includes weather

shellena

I can always figure out how to figure it out!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
Oh...... Well, it sounded like a good idea....
Lol to me too! I was about to put the dogs mister over ponds! The dog is glad I kept reading!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I grew up in SE LA and Im always fascinated to read about LA ppl and their ponds. We had one too when I was growing up. Im sorry to hear yours has been struggling with this heat. I dont recall having an issue with my own growing up, but it only had basic goldfish in it that never seemed to be stressed, in summer or winter. It had a fresh water feed in and out though....Im sure that helped. I hope your shade works well and good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My waterfall comes down over big rocks. They get VERY hot during the day, especially since my neighbors had to cut some of their trees down, we have full sun until 7:30pm. I can only run the pump during the night in the summer, otherwise the water would get way too hot. I'm in Florida. Afternoon thunderstorms help. When it doesn't rain, the water evaporates pretty quit, so I add water. That helps cool it some.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my! I'd forgotten all about this thread! Looked back at the date and it was July 22, last summer. So far, while this summer has started out HOT, it's not looking quite as bad as last year. I think one problem that made last summer's shade issue so bad was that we'd had 2 trees cut down the previous fall. The other trees hadn't had a chance for their branches to fill in the voids left by the missing trees. Those trees are filling in now. I haven't checked the water temp in a while [just back from a week-long camping trip], but at last check it was in the mid to upper 80's. By this time LAST year, the water temp was already in the upper 90's.

Lots of moving water via spitters and air!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Yes but you dont live on the gulf coast do you Maggie ?
Plus Meyer is talking cooling people not water where as the chap who wrote the article was talking about misting and cooling water .
Even spraying water in a fine spray has a cooling effect on water so misting should work

Dave
I live in north GA, nowhere near the gulf coast. This time of year the temps are ~100, with a dewpoint of ~100. Thus 100% humidity, and zero wind most of the time. Misters do nothing but make you wetter than you already are. When you walk outside the A/C you get wet, it's not sweat, but condensation. Misters would work well in AZ.

Ask a Question