Goldfish coloring

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
Oh, and another thing about color..... I bought a [yes, feeder] that had a nice shape, but was the "natural" goldfish color -- that sort of greenish gray. I, too, wanted variety! Well, "Mystery" is his name and he is so unusual. Don't know what he looks like from the side [so don't know what his belly color is], but from the top he is solid black! He looks like a shadow! Very pretty fish -- well, I think so, even though he is probably considered an "outcast" in the trade. Had 2 babies show up at the end of last year, and one of them is that same color.

Mystery sounds beautiful.

HTH said:
Some fish are typhoid Marry's. You add them to your pond and everything else dies.
HTH that is true of any fish not just feeders, no matter where you buy them. You are taking a risk, that is why quarantining is so important.

If I decide to buy feeders, and they are the only fish in my pond they don't have any other fish to kill. I do understand what you are saying. It costs the same to feed a feeder or a prize winning Shubunkin. And yes, there are risks, low quality, poor genetics, and possible illness. I have had aquariums for most of my life, and I prefer goldfish in my aquariums. But, I am not an expert (at all) and I am new to ponds, so I appreciate all input.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Yes it is possible that any fish can cause problems. But the risk is vastly greater with feeder fish. By you logic because anyone can have STDs sex with IV drug users is no less risky then sex with the boy or girl next door

Better yet find a pond club and get some free excess fish from a healthy pond. They have never been shipped and are bound to have an immune system that works.

I am just south of Elkhart KS. If you want free goldfish let me know and I will gave some ready for you.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mmathis said:
Oh, and another thing about color..... I bought a [yes, feeder] that had a nice shape, but was the "natural" goldfish color -- that sort of greenish gray. I, too, wanted variety! Well, "Mystery" is his name and he is so unusual. Don't know what he looks like from the side [so don't know what his belly color is], but from the top he is solid black! He looks like a shadow! Very pretty fish -- well, I think so, even though he is probably considered an "outcast" in the trade. Had 2 babies show up at the end of last year, and one of them is that same color.
For what it's worth, TM, all red/orange goldfish are born that drab greenish gray colour that is often described as black. This makes the fish less visible in the water, increasihg its chances for survival. The colour change can begin as early as a few months, while some never change. Most will have coloured up by their first birthday.
John

Ask a Question