Goldfish young still black!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have one from the same time frame that is solid black. He's decent sized, too. Probably 6 inches long. From what I've read, though, goldfish can change colors at any stage, for no apparent reason. Your fish are pretty!

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a whole little herd of black and or greenish gold - gold fish. They swim together.

Reaction score
Good morning!
We have some volunteer fish that have grown this summer to nearly the size of an adult man's thumb. Some of them have begun to show signs of the typical goldfish orange hues, but others are still black as coal.
Our fish are just comet and feeder fish mutts. Nothing special. What's the longest you folks have seen younguns keep their dark colors? I'm just surprised they haven't all turned yet.
We have a range of Shubunkins that take their time to change from black. Some change earlier than others. Our largest blacks are now 20 cm long and 2-3 years old. We've also found that if the water is warm for a longer summer, they change faster. We are also careful to add some new breeding stock to the pond every year and try to give away some of the existing fish, that mixes up the gene pools more.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always seem to have a few hold outs that change from the black much later than the rest. eventually they do change though. I still have 4 from last year's brood that have not changed yet, the others (about 12 to 14) have all changed. I do see 2 of them that have 3 colors! a bit of white and black on the orange! The rest are either all orange, or orange with black or orange with white.

Attachments

• 20200308_112112.jpg
    20200308_112112.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200308_112114.jpg
    20200308_112114.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 94

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have from tiny to big, a lot of them have beautiful fins, long and flowing. Some I don't think will ever change.

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is one of the green goldfish ones

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200311-120604.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200311-120604.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 112
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed tonight that I have a solid-black fish that grew out of this Spring's babies, which is about 3" long. I've never seen any all-black before now (except of course the babies under 1") so I'm hoping this one survives the Winter. The closest I've had before was one that was black except for an orange streak along its underbelly, but unfortunately it must have gotten picked off this Spring before I had a chance to get any size to it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond family had 3 babies 3 years ago, two have turned to goldfish colour and the other one is still pitch black and about 5" long, I like it
David

Reaction score
We have some over 9 inches long, still black and healthy. I'm told goldfish were once all black. Ours are shubunkins.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To @Diverdave and @Sofie — hello there and welcome to our group! We would like to get to know more about you….and your ponds! Please go over to our “introductions“ topic and tell us a little bit about yourselves! We love to see picture, too, if you have any to post. It’s interesting that you both popped up here today, responding to the same thread — and @Sofie, you were on this thread a year or so ago, so don’t be shy!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Good morning!
We have some volunteer fish that have grown this summer to nearly the size of an adult man's thumb. Some of them have begun to show signs of the typical goldfish orange hues, but others are still black as coal.
Our fish are just comet and feeder fish mutts. Nothing special. What's the longest you folks have seen younguns keep their dark colors? I'm just surprised they haven't all turned yet.
Easily six months, had four comets and two of them took forever to change, by the spring I could spot them

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
got some 8 years old and counting that have never changed and every year, get a convert. I used to not like the all dark ones as I had too many but now, mixed among the goldies and koi, they actually add to the miasma by popping out against all that color!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Waiting for black goldfish to become "normal" in coloration is a lot like waiting for teenagers to become human again. It seems to take forever, occasionally never happens, but usually happens almost unexpectedly when least expected. Thankfully, I only had one to wait for. (Human, not fish.)

Very deep.

Ask a Question