Goldfish young still black!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Good morning!
We have some volunteer fish that have grown this summer to nearly the size of an adult man's thumb. Some of them have begun to show signs of the typical goldfish orange hues, but others are still black as coal.
Our fish are just comet and feeder fish mutts. Nothing special. What's the longest you folks have seen younguns keep their dark colors? I'm just surprised they haven't all turned yet.
Easily six months, had four comets and two of them took forever to change, by the spring I could spot them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
got some 8 years old and counting that have never changed and every year, get a convert. I used to not like the all dark ones as I had too many but now, mixed among the goldies and koi, they actually add to the miasma by popping out against all that color!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Waiting for black goldfish to become "normal" in coloration is a lot like waiting for teenagers to become human again. It seems to take forever, occasionally never happens, but usually happens almost unexpectedly when least expected. Thankfully, I only had one to wait for. (Human, not fish.)

Very deep.

Ask a Question