goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had a 6000 gal goldfish pond in service for about 5 years. There was about 25 fish in it until about 3 months ago when I removed some. My question is I have heard several people talking about being over run with babys. In the 5 years I have never had any babys. Some of the goldfish are about12" long. I purchased the 1.5- 2.5" fish from a bait shop. Now I am wondering is those were sterilized to prevent babys in case they get lose and introduced to the wild. I really don't want any but I was just curious why.
Thanks
Bart

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I'll bet you have had babies but just didn't know it. Fish will eat the eggs and fry, though there will usually be a few that make it. And fish die, too, so you may have lost a few without knowing it, and those numbers were replaced -- nature's way of keeping things in balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and Welcome! Just wondering if you have plants and hiding places for fry. Good plants for them to hide in are anacharis, hornwort, and other oxygenators. Also how much do you feed your fish. If they are well fed they will not hunt as much for eggs and fry. One more question...Do you see your fish spawning in the Spring? If not then another thought if the babies came from Koi and Goldfish parents they will be sterile. I would think a bait shop wouldn't care about that sort of thing. Last thought.. if your pond is very deep the cold water would not be conducive for spawning. I have seen that before with Koi ponds where the owner discouraged spawning so as not to risk damage to any of their prized Koi. Good luck solving the mystery!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cas, I have always had a few frogs and lots of baby fish every year. I know tadpoles eat fish eggs but despite having frogs I have a healthy number of new babies every year. I actually think that maybe the bait shop got koi/goldfish progeny at a real cheap price and they were sterile. If they are going to be fish bait who cares if they can reproduce!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You bought GOLDFISH from a BAIT SHOP??? That is ecological Russian Roulette! Around here it's illegal to use goldfish as bait ANYWHERE. I would certainly HOPE that those fish were somehow sterilized.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You bought GOLDFISH from a BAIT SHOP??? That is ecological Russian Roulette! Around here it's illegal to use goldfish as bait ANYWHERE. I would certainly HOPE that those fish were somehow sterilized.
John
I wondered about that myself......

Ask a Question