Good Afternoon all

Reaction score
Hi all
Firstly, I would to thank all those that responded to my dilema. After considering all ideas I set about going over the every inch of the pond to see if I could see any possible way that mud was being stirred up by the fish or introduced to the pond without me seeing it.
Well 3 hrs later I think I have found the problem! :)

The ground under the water fall had slightly collapsed in a heavy rain storm a week ago, and was slowly leaking mud into the pond, out of sight literally under the waterfall!
I have now stripped and rebuilt the fall, so hopefully that is the solution!

Of course only time will tell

Thanks again.

I shall be logging in and participating here as it is a very good forum
Cheers
Nic

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's good news! Glad you were able to find the problem and fix it. And, yes, please check in and keep us posted!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yay you hopefully found the leak and so glad you are sticking around w/ all the rest of us pond nuts :D

Reaction score
Yep, I am hopeful that this is the root cause. I will know in a day or so, as it should clear pretty quick
I shall update this is in a couple of days n case anyone is interested in the conclusion :)

For now I am going to read other posts and see what sort of discussions take place on here

Thanks all again

Nic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, we will be watching for a conclusion to your problem. And, even though we all gave you some guesses and ideas, in the end, you just needed a shove to go look harder yourself, and YOU FOUND IT! I'm really happy you found your problem. I had a leak in my bog, dug MOST of the pea gravel out of it, including all the plants. Didn't find anything, concluded it must have been a fluke thing. Put it all back, still had a leak. Dug ALL the pea gravel out, and found a tear about 3/4" long on the inside wall of the bog, towards the bottom. Still not sure how it happened, but suspect a turtle digging in for the winter. My point is sometimes we have to go back to our first guess, and look harder. Seems that's what you did here, too!

Reaction score
Morning all,
I am very pleaseed to say that the waterfall collapse was definately the problem. The water is clearing well, and although not back to normal just yet, it is now not far off!

The conclusion has been confirmed by the fact that I can now see through the pond water, and below the waterfall at the bottom of the pond is a mass of small stones that have obviously come from the falling debris and mud run off under the waterfall. Hopefully my repair will stop this happenning again.

I am also hopeful that within the next 2-3 days the water will be back to its normal clarity

Thanks again
:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great news, Repsolkid!!! And, yes, we all love to see pics of everyone's ponds, no matter how large or small or under construction. Especially this time of year, nice to see what pond areas look like in other parts of the world.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
Great news, Repsolkid!!! And, yes, we all love to see pics of everyone's ponds, no matter how large or small or under construction. Especially this time of year, nice to see what pond areas look like in other parts of the world.
Agree, agree!

Reaction score
Morning from a cold but sunny UK
Well, after 2 more days of leaving the pond to filter itself through, I am pleased to report that the wonderful water clarity that I had before this crazy incident, is nearly back! I think a couple more days and it will be as it was before.
Many thanks for all the responses and ideas. Also,as there have been a few comments about seeing different ponds I will upload a few shots just to show how the pond developed a few years ago. Its not a major project but I loved building it. So much so, I have since built 2 more for other people since :)
I have now designed my next pond, which will be a 20,000L version for much larger koi. That project should start in about 6months time.
My pond in the photos is about 3.1m x 1.5m x (sloping 0.5 to 1m) deep, approx 3000L
You will also notice that the orginal pond that went in (stage 2 photo), was a hard plastic version (1200L). But as soon as I had completed it, I realised it was not what I wanted so I ripped it out and built my own!
Cheers
Nic

Ask a Question