Gravel Filter conversion

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Good day, I am new to this forum. I have my pond for awhile now. My current filter is a gravel filter 1.9m (L) x 500mm (W) x 450 (D). The pond volume is 3700L. I want to build 3 chambers in the filter so the water flows through chambers from the bottom up. As my filter is above the pond water level, I can't use a SC. I use a 5500LPH pump that fed the current filter.

So all the chambers will have a crate at the bottom and waste pipes. The chambers will then be filled with gravel again but only the first chamber will be fed by the pump. The water will rise from the bottom and at the flows into 110mm down pipe and rise from bottom of the second filter, the same with chamber 3.

Will this concept work. Attached please find my current filter in question.

Regards
Johan

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Water will flow up through the gravel, the question is will it flow up fast enough to compensate for the flow into the chamber. Since it won't be under pressure i.e. pumped up through the gravel.

Reaction score
Welcome @JohanKotze !

Your design, if I have the idea correct, could be described as three gravel bogs stacked one on top of the other. My question for you would be why three chambers? Why not one like the traditional constructed wetland filter bog that many here are using with good results? (And I'm not sure what an SC is?)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thanks for the quick reply. My bog filter is not stack but one filter. I see some partials in the pond I want to get rid off. I try to polish my water. I know the koi don't mind it but would like water to be clear.

Reaction score
So why would stacking the bog make that happen? You may want to consider adding a finer filter material to your skimmer box (if you have one) to catch the fine particles. Your bog filter is best suited for biological filtration, not mechanical.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi Lisa it's not n stack bog filter but one level. No skimmer, think it will be my project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It seems the other side of the pond they had the Cadillac set ups like nexus but big bucks. then they have the three barrels one to collect heavy solids with brushed or sponges the second to have weir filters like a pleated micron filter and the third being micro beads for bacteria to grow on with lots of 02. The only thing that i see as missing is the plant roots to absorb and convert less desirable compounds. Mother nature when you work with her give her the opportunity to take over can out source anything man can develop with a whole lot less effort. It may require a lot more room but pound for pound she is amazingly effective. i have seen several such barrel filters online that seemed well built. But i have seen a couple of those switch over to building a bog. That is one of the things that sold me on a bog i didn't see one bog owner switch over to a mechanical filter.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question