Gravity Fed filter using settlement chambers and biological filtration. No cutting of pond liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Hopefully off to buy some pipes and whatnot later, I'll keep you updated, for better or for worse haha!
yep that would be good. Remember the slower the water flows through the chamber the more stuff settles out and doesn't get back into the pond. That is part of the key to keeping water crystal clear in the pond without a lot of effort.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help @Ray G . Now that you have validated that my original concept can scale up to a bigger pond I think I'm on my way. I was looking to get fancy and install ball valves under the water level but I just checked prices. 3" valves are around $20 and 4" around $50. Maybe not terrible but I question they will work in a few years sitting underwater. The caps would certainly be cheaper but I have had a hell of a time getting 3" caps off. I hate to think how bad it is with 4" or 6" pipes. Do you put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the inside of the cap before priming the siphon when needed? And then if the caps slide off too easily then wont they slip off when loading the pipe with all that water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Thanks for all the help @Ray G . Now that you have validated that my original concept can scale up to a bigger pond I think I'm on my way. I was looking to get fancy and install ball valves under the water level but I just checked prices. 3" valves are around $20 and 4" around $50. Maybe not terrible but I question they will work in a few years sitting underwater. The caps would certainly be cheaper but I have had a hell of a time getting 3" caps off. I hate to think how bad it is with 4" or 6" pipes. Do you put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the inside of the cap before priming the siphon when needed? And then if the caps slide off too easily then wont they slip off when loading the pipe with all that water?
Yes I do put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the end caps as you are right they are hard to get off. They do not fall off when priming as both ends are under water so they dont take the full internal pressure anyway. My screw cap on the top makes it all pretty easy to prime as it is watertight so I basically prime the siphon when it is in place (and get my hands wet taking the end caps off. Once they are off I insert the length of pipe that has the holes in it over the intake end.

Ask a Question