Great blue heron visiting -- what to do?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome characters.gif
@Rugar458
Never would I ever kill them. A net works just fine for me and I still get to watch the bird pace back and forth and then leave :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 12X8X1-3 foot pond in my back yard. Lately I'm losing most, if not all, of my goldfish to a lousy heron. It scares easily but I'm sure as soon as I drive away, it returns to feast.

I placed poles and old boards (you can imagine it looks really great) all around the edges of the circular pond, but still, the bird gets in and hunts.

Any workable ideas? I'd rather not use a net over/around it if possible.

Thx much ....
He doesn't kill them, just scares the ... out of them. Fortunatly he lives out in the country with no neighbors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to say you could use rock salt and just shoot in the air. that noise will get them flying. I also found a spool of weed whacker line red in color works real well when hurled at them.

but most of all you have an issue like addy showed in her pictures the pond where the bird is standing is shallow up to 24 and 30" deep is how deep they can walk along the bottom fishing. and your pond it pretty close to being able to walk around the whole thing fishing. the net is probably your only hope

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to say you could use rock salt and just shoot in the air. that noise will get them flying. I also found a spool of weed whacker line red in color works real well when hurled at them.

but most of all you have an issue like addy showed in her pictures the pond where the bird is standing is shallow up to 24 and 30" deep is how deep they can walk along the bottom fishing. and your pond it pretty close to being able to walk around the whole thing fishing. the net is probably your only hope
That is my 5.5 foot deep area. The darn Heron was standing on the line going to the pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been cursed! for 6 years i have had hardly an issue with the pond a couple =blue herons have done a fly by and a quick touch and go.
Today a ground hog has eaten all the purple potato vine . Someone got two fish , And the wife chased off a heron during the day. I got stung 5 times by a yellow jacket hive last night as i was cleaning up the pond edges of seedlings and accousa tree flowers, While scrambling to get away I blew out my phone as it was in my back pocket . As i went down tripping over god know what

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Went out b to see what kind of damage was done overnight. Mr heron l anded on the garage but didn't see me too bad for him. Got up from undermy umbrella and snuck into my shop. Hmmmmmm what weapon do I feel like using a cordless finish nail gun . A concrete nail gun maybe as it also makes a bang. Nope decided on a 16 foot extension pole and threw it at him but not like a spear more like a log comin g at you horizontaly and wide, didn't seem t o enjoy it. Game on

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry for the pass poor sentencing . I got a new phone apparently with all kinda of short cuts and automatic this and that . That is erasing my words . Well society is doing the same so why not gave our pH I nes ho Loco too

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have been cursed! for 6 years i have had hardly an issue with the pond a couple =blue herons have done a fly by and a quick touch and go.
Today a ground hog has eaten all the purple potato vine . Someone got two fish , And the wife chased off a heron during the day. I got stung 5 times by a yellow jacket hive last night as i was cleaning up the pond edges of seedlings and accousa tree flowers, While scrambling to get away I blew out my phone as it was in my back pocket . As i went down tripping over god know what
Think you could use a good fairy right about now!
So here goes it :joyful:

fatfairylady.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
-she left me the little red guy po ked her with the pitch fork and blew fire out his _ _ _ and he won. Now I'm stuck with bad intent.

Ask a Question