Great blue heron visiting -- what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 12X8X1-3 foot pond in my back yard. Lately I'm losing most, if not all, of my goldfish to a lousy heron. It scares easily but I'm sure as soon as I drive away, it returns to feast.

I placed poles and old boards (you can imagine it looks really great) all around the edges of the circular pond, but still, the bird gets in and hunts.

Any workable ideas? I'd rather not use a net over/around it if possible.

Thx much ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have a 12X8X1-3 foot pond in my back yard. Lately I'm losing most, if not all, of my goldfish to a lousy heron. It scares easily but I'm sure as soon as I drive away, it returns to feast.

I placed poles and old boards (you can imagine it looks really great) all around the edges of the circular pond, but still, the bird gets in and hunts.

Thx much ....
You can try an aerator which spreads bubbles over the surface and makes it hard for the birds to see the fish. I have had many herons visit my pond and not a single fish has been taken due to the bubbles…my pond is small (8x10) so it works for me but I don’t have a shallow end like you do where the birds can walk in….I also have a fish cave and plants where my fish can hide. Most on here have their ponds netted…..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you want a 100% solution, a net is the only real choice. You can try stringing fishing line low over the pond from side to side, you can try aeration, you can try a "scarecrow" (a motion activated sprinkler that will probably scare you more than the bird)... but most people have learned that these are tenacious hunters. They won't stop until your pond is empty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want a 100% solution, a net is the only real choice. You can try stringing fishing line low over the pond from side to side, you can try aeration, you can try a "scarecrow" (a motion activated sprinkler that will probably scare you more than the bird)... but most people have learned that these are tenacious hunters. They won't stop until your pond is empty.
Thx for the info. I actually admire the birds -- respect them, maybe a better way to put it -- but yeah, they don't give up, I think. Well, the fish are "feeder fish" and cheap, so ... I won't be crushed when they vanish, exactly. A friend of mine locally (eastern NC) furnished her little pond with expensive koi .... and you know the rest of the story.....

Mitch

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We use dark blue pond dye to decrease aerial visibility and fountains to distort the water. Lily coverage can help and if you need something faster stack a wide shallow planter on top of a cinderblock or a little plastic patio side table in the water to make an impromptu fish cave

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thx much ....

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had great success with the sprinkler motion detector for heron and raccoons. Plus, the grandkids enjoy it.

I also have a fake, plastic heron out there. I heard they are territorial and will stay away if they see another heron. Not sure if it works.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried alligator heads, worked for a week or so, then they ignored. Fishing line over the pond, they figured out a way to wiggle in. Fishing and chicken wire around the pond, still got in. Plant coverage 75% Sill waded in the lilies and fished.

Now wide weave net high over the pond draping down. The heron this year sat in our dead maple until it saw a way to get under the net and fishing it did.
hp pc_pond east_main_20211113090200_@1.jpg
hp pc_pond east_main_20211113090203_@1.jpg
hp pc_west pond_main_20211115100416_@1.jpg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep if you don't make it like Fort Knox they will get in there and eat every single fish till you have nothing left!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Net it at least for a while. I tried everything, too. The scarecrow did nothing. He walked right through it! Scared the crap out of my dog though. . I think he liked the refreshing spray of water. Ugh

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have dogs that no Herons are going to mess with..the dogs like people but they aren't fond of intruding guests that don't belong there. So I don't worry about it in my present set up. In a previous setup in another state, a Heron found my 2 little ponds. I tried lots of thing but the one thing that worked for me was buying a large, ornamental heron that plants into the ground and put it next to it's favorite feeding pond. Problem solved, that was 15 years ago and the pond has been fine ever since.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put one near the pond, right on the edge, the Heron just walked around it.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thx much ....
My buddy said his double barrel 10ga works real good.

Ask a Question