Green algae in waterfall filter consistency of pudding

jlreed59

Mile High Ponder
Reaction score
I have a waterfall filter in my 1,200 gallon pond. There is also have a TetraPond Bio-Active Pressure Filter with a UV light. We also have 5 gold fish and water lily's. The water is usually crystal clear. I get this green substance the consistency of pudding in the waterfall filter. I have been getting rid of the green stuff by rinsing the filter every other week. Should I be doing this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Post a picture of the pudding green stuff. I used to get some dense green looking carpet type algae at the base of my arizona water fall/filter. Have also seen some pudding like green stuff off and on in shallow water in my bog where the sun hits it. I would just rinse it off. I don't see how it could hurt to rinse your filter to get rid of it.

jlreed59

Mile High Ponder
Reaction score
Thanks Addy - I won't have pictures untill I get the pond up and running for the season. I have been rinsing out the "green pudding" each month as part of my maintaince routine. I just keep hearing that it's good to build up the right bacteria in your pond to make it healthy and wasn't sure if the green pudding is a good thing that should be left alone.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most likely it will go away when you have your filters running. Algae loves still water. The good algae for a pond is more the carpet type, it attaches to the walls and bottom of the liner and looks carpet like.

You won't be able to see the good bacteria. See able green stuff is algae, usually.

Ask a Question