Shubunkin eggs, green bubble algae, or bubbles?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to garden ponds so please forgive my ignorance. I have a 1,200 gallon freeform pond that I constructed last summer. It has 2 koi, 2 shubunkins and 4 goldfish. Last week one of the shubunkins was being aggressively chased by the other shubunkin and the goldfish. I removed her from the pond, thinking that she might be sick or ready to lay eggs. After a week in confinement in a small container, she is still alive. This morning, I noticed some green bubbles on the surface of the container. Are they shubunkin eggs, green bubble algae, or just bubbles? See attached photo. Thanks.

Dave

Attachments

• bubbles.JPG
    bubbles.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 1,792
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Looks like green bubbles to me.

Why are you removing her? Were you trying to save the eggs? Because the females release eggs when they are basically pummeled by the male (or males) - or manually with help from a human. Are you up for that job? haha!

Also - and I know you didn't ask - but your 1200 gallon pond is going to quickly become too small for your koi. They are probably still small, but the growth will start and you will have whales in your bathtub, so to speak! Just a friendly head's up!

Reaction score
Country
United States

Why are you removing her? Were you trying to save the eggs? Because the females release eggs when they are basically pummeled by the male (or males) - or manually with help from a human. Are you up for that job? haha!

Also - and I know you didn't ask - but your 1200 gallon pond is going to quickly become too small for your koi. They are probably still small, but the growth will start and you will have whales in your bathtub, so to speak! Just a friendly head's up!

Thanks for your quick reply. I removed her (or him) because there was no obvious indication that she was carrying eggs, and I thought that the others might have been attacking her because she was sick. I still don't know if it is a male or female. She doesn't have a significantly expanded abdomen.

Regarding the koi, I plan to add a larger section this summer (phase 2). If that doesn't happen, I will transfer them to my brother's much larger pond when they outgrow mine. They are about 5" and 8" now.

I appreciate your comments. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Reaction score
Country
United States

I just noticed a 3"-4" worm-like item on the bottom of the bucket (see attached photo), but it's not moving. Can fish get worms? Also, I just noticed that she has now developed white fuzz on her fins and gills.

Attachments

• worm.JPG
    worm.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 595
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bigger pond - always a good solution!

Fish can indeed get worms. And white fuzz is NOT a good sign. There are others here who are better versed in fish health than I... hopefully they will chime in!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bigger pond - always a good solution!

Fish can indeed get worms. And white fuzz is NOT a good sign. There are others here who are better versed in fish health than I... hopefully they will chime in!

Thanks again. Clearly, now, it is illness rather than egg-bearing issue. I put her on some fungus meds. I'll keep her segregated until the fungus clears us.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah yes! Welcome! You've found the friendliest, most helpful and knowledgeable group of ponders on the internet!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, that love to help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and do you have a water test kit like API liquid test .Poor water quality can cause problems .

Ask a Question