Green Jelly-like Algae

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, I have a pond full of these jelly-like balls of assumed algae? Has anyone seen these before and how do I get rid of them? I have spend hours with a pool net removing them from the pond but then they just come back again. When I remove them from the water they have an texture similar to sand and an appearance like caviar.....help

Attachments

• 20160605_141800.jpg
    20160605_141800.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 860
  • 20160605_141808.jpg
    20160605_141808.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 726
  • 20160605_141814.jpg
    20160605_141814.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 805
Reaction score
Looks like a big pond, if you are really intent on getting rid of that algae then you have your work cut out for you. Keep in mind though that that algae is probably feeding on the nutrient rich water and if you ever succeed in getting rid of that type of algae it is very likely another type of algae will simply take it's place. Maybe something even harder to manage.
Lots of things to consider.

Do you aerate that pond?
Is there an inflow/outflow?
Are there fish, frogs, turtles... living in there?
Is the pond totally on your property?
Have you contacted any local environmental fish and streams agencies in your area for their opinion/help?

And most importantly,,, why are you concerned with getting rid of the algae? What is your goal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In the top right, first picture, it looks like there is a foundation, or some type of aeration.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you, we were circulating water in efforts to get the algae to the edge so I could get it out, otherwise it is natural, yes it is completely on our property, there is a stream that circulates through it from the neighbouring property which is a cattle farm. There is a large population of frogs this year as the heron doesn't visit anymore, in addition to the frogs there are painted turtles, a snapping turtle, a snake, a muskrat, lots of geese, and water spiders, I have not seen any fish. My primary concern was that it was the blue-green algae (toxic form) not to mention when the algae blooms it covers the entire pond and looks horrible.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you, we were circulating water in efforts to get the algae to the edge so I could get it out, otherwise it is natural, yes it is completely on our property, there is a stream that circulates through it from the neighbouring property which is a cattle farm. There is a large population of frogs this year as the heron doesn't visit anymore, in addition to the frogs there are painted turtles, a snapping turtle, a snake, a muskrat, lots of geese, and water spiders, I have not seen any fish. My primary concern was that it was the blue-green algae (toxic form) not to mention when the algae blooms it covers the entire pond and looks horrible.

This pretty much explains your situation. Since this pond is fed from run-off from a cattle farm, the nutrient level must be constantly very high and, as a result, even if you did a lot of aquatic plantings you would likely battle algae forever.
Has your pond gone through the green water and clear water stages yet. If not, then this is regular floating algae. If these two (2) stages have already been experienced then it could be a blue-green algae.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This pretty much explains your situation. Since this pond is fed from run-off from a cattle farm, the nutrient level must be constantly very high and, as a result, even if you did a lot of aquatic plantings you would likely battle algae forever.
Has your pond gone through the green water and clear water stages yet. If not, then this is regular floating algae. If these two (2) stages have already been experienced then it could be a blue-green algae.
So far the only "clear water" stage its gone through is just following the winter, this algae is new in the last couple of years prior to the we had duckweed, I would expect the duckweed has since been choked out with this new algae as there is none in the pond now. It is a floating algae as I can scoop it off the surface of the water with a pool net the only noticeable difference I could find between it and the blue-green is they describe the blue-green to be fuzzy which what we have does not. Once it blooms it stays all year.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So far the only "clear water" stage its gone through is just following the winter, this algae is new in the last couple of years prior to the we had duckweed, I would expect the duckweed has since been choked out with this new algae as there is none in the pond now. It is a floating algae as I can scoop it off the surface of the water with a pool net the only noticeable difference I could find between it and the blue-green is they describe the blue-green to be fuzzy which what we have does not. Once it blooms it stays all year.
Unfortunately, with a constant heavy nutrient load flowing into your pond, you have a never ending battle on your hands. Manual removal is the only logical option that you have. The use of algaecides would be an on-going regime of treatments quickly turning this pond into a 'money pit'.
When is the last time that this pond was drained and dredged?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, with a constant heavy nutrient load flowing into your pond, you have a never ending battle on your hands. Manual removal is the only logical option that you have. The use of algaecides would be an on-going regime of treatments quickly turning this pond into a 'money pit'.
When is the last time that this pond was drained and dredged?
It has never been drained and dredged as I would hate to do anything to disrupt any of the natural habitats, in saying that I suppose my only option is to continue to pull nets full of "green caviar" or live with a green pond :) Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
can yo stop the stream from coming to the pond? that would stop constant adding of the nutrient... then you can build some sort of filter to help with reducing nutrient or do some water change for quicker outcome.
This wont kill any critters :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
can yo stop the stream from coming to the pond? that would stop constant adding of the nutrient... then you can build some sort of filter to help with reducing nutrient or do some water change for quicker outcome.
This wont kill any critters :)
That would be easy enough to do and see what happens if it helps. Thanks!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Damming the stream is an option. Depending on the age of the pond, draining and dredging may still be necessary to remove all of the organic matter that has accumulated over the years. This is a storehouse of nutrients.
Supplemental filtration does not usually work too well with earthen-bottom ponds. especially in this case, where there are no fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Damming the stream is an option. Depending on the age of the pond, draining and dredging may still be necessary to remove all of the organic matter that has accumulated over the years. This is a storehouse of nutrients.
Supplemental filtration does not usually work too well with earthen-bottom ponds. especially in this case, where there are no fish.
I see. What about a big fountain or putting oxygen in the water? Would that help with the algae?

Ask a Question