Green algae on top of pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_2143.jpg

Can anyone help me in getting rid of this green stuff? We have had this pond on our property for almost 16 years and have never had this problem. We do not have electric hook up there because it is in the back of our property. We have not put any fish in the pond only what naturally ends up in the pond. There are so many algaecides out there I don't know which one to use and if they would even work. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1586634650130.gif
@lsikesdds
Looks like some kind of tiny plant life but not sure it is algae. Could it be Duckweed? My fish love Duckweed! You said you didn't put fish in there but are there any in there from someone else putting them in. I would think if you put fish in there they might eat it up. Not sure about this tho as the green stuff may suffocate anything living in there. Take a close up picture of it in your hand so we can see it better. How deep is the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh my gosh! You have a healthy crop growing there! Fish would gobble that up in no time! Or advertise to local pond owners - they'd gobble it up too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow! That's a lot of duckweed! And that's a nice big pond you have there!
I buy duckweed every year and have to keep some of it in a floating net or my fish will eat it all. You can sell a ton of that and make some money!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my gosh! You have a healthy crop growing there! Fish would gobble that up in no time! Or advertise to local pond owners - they'd gobble it up too!
Thanks so much! I had no idea that’s what it was lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I toss handfuls in my pond with fish and they inhale it. I have some growing where there are no fish. Offer it up here in classified if you want to. Check on line for prices, offer it a bit less and you will probably get buyers.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have a gold mine of the stuff there and yes siree people would love to have some of that! I have some growing in a special small pond that I dole out every once in awhile to my fish and they love it! You can also trade it for other plants to people here or let them pay or just send free and they pay the postage. I suggest if you send it for just the postage or a price, make sure to get the payments up front before you send it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@j.w - we brought home a water lily last year that had some duckweed floating in the pot. I was almost as excited about that as I was the lily! I scooped it up and tucked it into a little quiet spot in the pond and watched it grow. The fish sure do love the stuff!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had just show up from somewhere, no clue where. It grows here and there, esp where there are no fish. I scope some out an ddump it into the fish filled pond, it does not last long.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is like a drug for fish and they sell it in garden centers for ponds .Just think of the money you have there

Ask a Question