Here is help for green water and algae, both string and the velvety type, using natural methods

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to share what has been a great help to me with regard to my algae problem.

Always like to go the natural way, if possible...

Hydrogen peroxide has helped a great deal with the velvety type. I have a 3000 pond and have used up to 16 or so QUARTS of the hydro peroxide. Do also have about 60% coverage with plants to help deter algae.

With the string algae, montmorillite clay (sometimes called koi clay) does work for me if I have STRING algae.

Also follow the QUEEN OF DIRT, and she has devised a wonderful way to help with green water. Buy a submersible pump, place it in milk crate or similar, COVER it with polyester batting (has to be polyester) all the way around ... and the batting absorbs the algae, making the water clear. Also, for those with INground skimmers, she suggests placing batting over 2 cookie cooling trays (those that have a lot of holes/visible space); and settle it near the skimmer.

I have not tried this myself as my water is clear; but the followers on her site attest to this. Google Queen of Dirt/mad mimi.

Hope this helps for those trying to keep it natural.

Belinda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found that adding salt to your water stops the algae how ever it is not very good for plants hope this may help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
adding more air to a pond will help reduce algae growth as well big ponds at say a condo complex use fountains but its doing the same principal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have found that adding salt to your water stops the algae how ever it is not very good for plants hope this may help

Have to disagree - that's totally counterproductive. Adding PLANTS to the pond helps keep algae under control. If you're killing the plants (including the algae) with salt, what other pond life is dying as a result?

@Belindab77 - all good suggestions! For an easier way to use H2O2 in the pond, we use sodium percarbonate. Works great to clean string algae off waterfalls and rocks! But as always, you want to first ask yourself "why do I have an overgrowth of algae" and address the why before you treat the symptom. Fixing the cause will usually get rid of the algae with no other help from you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have to disagree - that's totally counterproductive. Adding PLANTS to the pond helps keep algae under control. If you're killing the plants (including the algae) with salt, what other pond life is dying as a result?

@Belindab77 - all good suggestions! For an easier way to use H2O2 in the pond, we use sodium percarbonate. Works great to clean string algae off waterfalls and rocks! But as always, you want to first ask yourself "why do I have an overgrowth of algae" and address the why before you treat the symptom. Fixing the cause will usually get rid of the algae with no other help from you!
All good only passing on what was recommended to me by a top quality koi shop and it worked for me and I don't really have plants any way as I find the koi just destroy them
I think there's lots of things that will work its just finding what works for you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't really have plants any way

Understand completely! As with any advice, it's important to know what your goal is. A dedicated koi pond is a different animal than a garden eco-pond. Both will "work" but they are about as far apart as night from day - they both have water and fish... but that's where the similarities end. The thing we try to avoid is the person who's trying to keep an eco-pond but they read the "salt your pond for the health of your fish" advice - or in this case, to control algae - without realizing the differences.

@madscuba - have you posted photos of your pond and fish? We'd love to see it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think there's lots of things that will work its just finding what works for you
I whole heartedly agree with that statement !! my planted tank the experts said you must fertilize with the dosing system to be successful. My dosing system was bird poop that dropped into the top of the tank, from the finches that i had in a mini Avery with a open top tank. That you had to have co2 and when i did try the co2 it worked alright i was ripping out plants by the hand full every other day. so forget what people say is guaranteed to work for you they are not using your water or have your fish or your feeding habits, when you find a routine that works go for it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pics pics pics, oh and videos work toooooooo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi S
Understand completely! As with any advice, it's important to know what your goal is. A dedicated koi pond is a different animal than a garden eco-pond. Both will "work" but they are about as far apart as night from day - they both have water and fish... but that's where the similarities end. The thing we try to avoid is the person who's trying to keep an eco-pond but they read the "salt your pond for the health of your fish" advice - or in this case, to control algae - without realizing the differences.

@madscuba - have you posted photos of your pond and fish? We'd love to see it!
Hi sorry for the delay as I said in one of my posts I am about to change my pond as im not happy with it so didn't realy want to post photos yet however if you realy want a photo I will post a couple let me know
cheers Dave

Ask a Question